Engine swap

ILoveMyPatty

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my dad's a 2nd level Paramedic, I'm a 1st level Paramedic. If it reached 104.5 I was going to call for an ambulance, and it would have been my dad picking me up, since he was working and the closest station is his. I was obviously in no shape to drive, especially since high fevers can cause siezures, and I probably wasn't too far off. It's a good thing I took 2 400mg Ibuprofene to reduce the fever, or I think it could have gone a little higher. For those who don't know, 104.1 is 40.05 C

Anyway, time to get to work on this pig tomorrow! :D

Okay, I honestly don't see how this stupid diff is gonna go back in. Seems like I need two floor jacks or something...

I wonder if it would have been easier to leave the bolts in the eyes, and have it bolted to the suspension crossmember, and have it hang in the back while the engine was put in, then lift up the back end of it and bolt the two side bolts in...

Ahhh I dono.. but this is really starting to frustrate me, haha.

Well, my buddy came up today and I got a flat of beer for us... Ended up getting quite a bit done.

Got the diff in, after an hour and a half, then put the driveshafts back in, put the motor mounts on, I took my brakes apart to get the rocks out from between the rotor and back plate, then we swapped valve covers, put the intake manifold on and put the new plug wires in.

The diff was a pain, but we ended up leaving both torsion bars in and somewhat forcing it in... Not overly rough with it, as to wreck the t-bars or mounts in the LCAs. Anyway, tomorrow I'll pick up a d.side exhaust manifold gasket, put the alternator in, power steering pump, air conditioning, belts, intake, all electrical and remaining hoses, fan and rad... annnnnd battery :)

Update:

Got a little work done today... hooked up the starter, put the powersteering pump back on, put the alternator back on and hooked it up (have a Q about this later), put the A/C on and did all three belts. Bolted my d.side exhaust manifold up with the new gasket, plugged in all of my electrical except for the intake MAF and one other plug (Q about this later too). Did all of my vac. lines, except for the ones going into the intake.

Tomorrow I will put my air box back in, hook up the intake, put my fan on, put my rad in, fill with coolant, fill engine with oil and put in a new oil filter, plug in the ECU, throw my battery in (that's charging right now) and turn the key. If all works well (which I doubt) then I'll start putting my interior back in, so I have a seat to take it for a test drive.

Q's about the alternator and one electrical plug.

Okay, the alternator. There are two wires with ring connectors in the wiring harness, along with the plug that charges the alty, correct? On the alty, there is a spot for Batt+, and the other spot (looks like a place for another wire) has just the letter "E" on it. I'm unsure of which goes where and cannot remember what I did when I took the alty out. So, for the time being, I have the plug in, the white wire (bigger than the other) on the Batt+, and the smaller black wire on the "E"... Is this correct?

Next Q. Ontop of the intake manifold, there is a plug that stands vertically, towards the back drivers corner, just about up against the firewall. I'm unsure of what plugs into this spot, so if someone could get a picture for me, that would be great. I'd also (if possible) like a picture of the front of the motor, as it sits in the truck, to see everything behind the fan.

Thanks everyone! My baby is sooo close.

Oh yeah, and do my snorkel, too... before the fender goes back on :)

Yes, that plug. What is it, and I have no idea where the female part of it went.... Uh oh, please don't be caught behind the motor against the firewall....

Thanks Casey

Also, if anyone has a picture of their engine bay, I'd like to see it if possible. There are some clips ontop of the intake manifold that I don't remember their use.

I wish my digital camera wouldn't have broken a week ago, I have no idea where those little ground straps that are scattered around the engine bay go.

Oh yes, and one more thing... I keep remembering little things. Near the power steering pump... is there supposed to be a black with yellow striped cable, attatched to the block itself? Engine ground?

IIRC. the top plug is part of the engine wire harness its self (EGR)... 1 plug under the throttle body, the plug on top and the knock sensor and it goes around the back of the engine and travels up the passenger valve cover to the 3 plugs at the front.... (I know im close, but 2 beverages and a 500mg oxycontin later)

The clips are for the throttle cable and ... LOL I had a whole pathy to look at when I put mine back together....

yes thats the ground wire to the block...

Damn, I'd say I'm doing pretty dang good, considering this is my first job of this calibre, and I don't have a Pathy to look at while I put it back together... And it's been at least 6 months since I dismantled everything in the bay (plugs, vac lines etc.)....

Great, thanks Casey. I'll take a look tomorrow and hopefully have 'er runnin by noon. (Not working makes this so much easier :) )

I hope to god I don't have to pull my intake manifold, to find that stupid little plug....

Edited by ILoveMyPatty

When I put mine all back together... I used the fly wheel that came with the jdm motor... that was mistake #1 had to repull the motor to swap the fly wheels.

#2 was the timing... took a good 2 weeks to figure out the book was not 100% correct on all of the alignment marks... That or I just screwed it up to begin with when i re-set the dizzy...

FYI: Slick has alot of pics of her motors in her photobucket...

Okay cool, thanks Casey.

I'm sure the timing will be off, my buddy pulled the dizzy to get to that stupid little valve cover screw...

We'll see. I'll most likely have questions about it in a little while. Motor is close. I'm putting my rad in right now, then gonna put oil and coolant in, plug my computer in and give it a turn.

Actually no... there are some vac lines around the intake that I'm unsure about where they go, and that carbon canister or whatever it is... can't seem to get it to fit back in, hahaha.

Okay, the alternator. There are two wires with ring connectors in the wiring harness, along with the plug that charges the alty, correct? On the alty, there is a spot for Batt+, and the other spot (looks like a place for another wire) has just the letter "E" on it. I'm unsure of which goes where and cannot remember what I did when I took the alty out. So, for the time being, I have the plug in, the white wire (bigger than the other) on the Batt+, and the smaller black wire on the "E"... Is this correct?

the other is for hte ignition wire...its what goes to the ignition to tell the solenoid to go...you can hotwire it by hooking a wire to it and up to the + on the battery...granted the kkey is in position 3

Edited by unccpathfinder

chekc the garage one...i posted up there...but check that the signal is getting there (multimeter), check battery (if good and no signal you can try my rigging) if that works problem solved if not then test the starter (should come back bad or your wiring set up isnt right)

it may be a good idea ot put an inline fuse prior to just hooking wires from the battery to the solenoid

• 4 weeks later...

This took you about 6 months to do? I am considering getting a JDM engine to put in mine, and I wasn't kinda looking for time estimates and stuff. I have a friend that thinks we can get it done in a couple days, I think he is crazy. How long should it take if you keep at it?

Thanks

This took you about 6 months to do? I am considering getting a JDM engine to put in mine, and I wasn't kinda looking for time estimates and stuff. I have a friend that thinks we can get it done in a couple days, I think he is crazy. How long should it take if you keep at it?

Thanks

2-3 days depending on ease of install and experience and how much you REALLY work on it

I bet I only actually WORKED about.... ohhh I'd say 50 hours on it. But then again, I had NO experience whatsoever. I'm quite proud of myself actually. Pretty big accomplishment in my books. It's made me want to buy another rig andfix 'er up and sell it for a small profit. Maybe a Yota or something, not many Pathys or Nissan pickups for sale around here, unfortunately... but then again... I'd probably fix it up and keep it if it were a Nissan. I'll probably have a hard time gettin rid of a Yota too haha

The biggest issue for me was getting the clutch lined up, as I didn't have a lineup tool. Also the exhaust, I left the manifold connected to the pipe on the drivers side, and took the manifold off on the passenger side. Please make sure you don't remove your distributor... as that's the problem I have right now... I have to correct my timing now, and I've put my fan and rad and all that stuff in, so it makes it difficult getting to the crank bolt without removing the fan. I really don't want to remove the fan, it took FOREVER to get those four little nuts onto the studs. Butttt, it looks like I'll have to do that :(

Edited by ILoveMyPatty