Where's the ECT Sensor?

jwestpnw

So I'm thinking of replacing my ECT sensor and I open up the hood to see how the access was and it's just not there. I have a 98' and the shop manual I have is for a 97' so could the ECT sensor be in a different place? Any help would be great.

So I'm thinking of replacing my ECT sensor and I open up the hood to see how the access was and it's just not there. I have a 98' and the shop manual I have is for a 97' so could the ECT sensor be in a different place? Any help would be great.

Why are you considering replacing the sensor? Is it faulty? Also, please explain what you mean by "it's just not there". Where are you looking?

Why are you considering replacing the sensor? Is it faulty? Also, please explain what you mean by "it's just not there". Where are you looking?

I think this is where it should be, right? Basically I was just messing around and noticed this.

post-3974-1203467308_thumb.jpg

See that thing right beneath your red circle with the gold colored bolt and black connector and wire? That's your ECT sensor - just changed mine. You'll probably need a deep 3/4" socket even though it's not an American car.

( 3/4" roughly equals 19mm )

Edited by gwhunt23

See that thing right beneath your red circle with the gold colored bolt and black connector and wire? That's your ECT sensor - just changed mine. You'll probably need a deep 3/4" socket even though it's not an American car.

This is what the shop manual shows. You can see that there are 2 sensors right next to one another. Then if you compare to the pic of mine you can see that I only have one. Any idea what the other one is,was,or should be? oh, and the sensor in the color photo is only like a 12mm size.

post-3974-1203469075_thumb.png

Edited by jwestpnw

This is what the shop manual shows. You can see that there are 2 sensors right next to one another. Then if you compare to the pic of mine you can see that I only have one. Any idea what the other one is,was,or should be? oh, and the sensor in the color photo is only like a 12mm size.

Hmm that's odd. :blush02: I have a '99 so perhaps that accounts for the small differences. I'd say your best bet is to take out the the sensor and if you see coolant, then that's probably it. Do it when the engine is cold and you won't have much coolant spill. Compare the sensor you just took out with the new one and go from there.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with the details of doing this on a '97 specifically.

Edited by gwhunt23