Gas Mileage

99BoomFinder

Do you notice anything else with the truck? Any CEL or high idle or rough idle? Go scan your codes, sometimes you will have existing codes but no CEL.

Not too much out of the norm. I will scan for codes....I don't have a CEL, and didn't think about doing that.

I scaned my Pathy for codes, and nothing turned up. Any reccomendations? I am pretty sure the MAF sensor is clean, but I will double check.

Assuming the truck has had a relatively recent tune-up.... and it is getting up to full operating temperature, I would consider a new O2 sensors and/or new coolant temp sensor if they are original. If you have access to a higher end scanner, you can watch the response of the O2 sensors go from lean to rich. If one is lazy hanging on the rich side too much, that could be the culprit....

I've been trying to improve my mileage as well since I got the Pathfinder in December without much luck. Between what the previous owner did, what I did for smog purposes, and what I did after reading an earlier thread on mileage, the pathfinder has gotten a full tuneup, all four new o2 sensors, a new coolant temp sensor (that one helped a little since the old one was completely wrecked), clean MAF sensor, and Warn manual hubs. Also, it should be a bit below stock weight and has 225/15 AT tires (for now anyways). Despite all this, I get 16 mpg mostly highway even when doing low rpm shifts and keeping it under 65. I'm not really sure what else there is to fix; was hoping to get the highway mpg up to around 20 before adding things that would bring it back down.

All I have done so far is replace one O2 sensor and put on Mille Marker hubs (like warns but cheaper), and my truck has 3 radials and 1 Uniroyal Liberator AT (from previous owner). I always keep them at 50 PSI since they are 30x9.50, and I get around 19.5 with cruise between 60 and 70 and a light foot. I have no idea what the previous owner did but I will be doing a full tune up this summer. Maybe its my busted up front bumper giving me good aerodynamics B)

Also you need to consider how much ethanol the pumps in your area run, that can kill mileage. If most members are getting 16-17 on the highway i would say im abnormal, so dont expect to get what i get :puterpunch:

Also, if you live in the north, they put additives in the fuel during the winter. THis winter gas (with deicers and what not) hurts fuel economy by as much as 3 mpg I have heard on other forums. Better to test you mileage in June/July.

Edited by BowTied