88 pathy problems

nissan4x4

My 88 pathy v6 5 speed on a cold start will start very rough and go to 3000 rpm and i have to keep the pedal all the way to the floor just to get it to go to 3000 rpm to keep it from dieing. Then it will have white smoke that smells like carb cleaner or injector cleaner not like oil at all. the smoke will dwindle down in till it goes away. but then as the pathy has been running for about five min. it starts to stall and die and eventually dies and i have the pedal all the way to the floor till it dies and wont start again till the next morning.what could cause this i will not run more than five min a day.

Honestly,the only thing that comes to mind as far as white smoke is oil or antifreeze....possibly a blown head gasket or cracked head. I cannot think of anything else that causes white smoke. Maybe someone else will chime in with another idea for you. I hope Im wrong.....

Honestly,the only thing that comes to mind as far as white smoke is oil or antifreeze....possibly a blown head gasket or cracked head. I cannot think of anything else that causes white smoke. Maybe someone else will chime in with another idea for you. I hope Im wrong.....

well my smoke goes away after about five min and this is a cold start im talking about would adding to much gas additive to one tank that was well pretty much empty cause this to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

The burning coolant is white, that's for sure.....but I've seen some hellish clouds of white smoke belch out of trucks when they use some of those injector cleaners in the shop.....I would consider putting some new fuel in the tank as see how it reacts first...maybe change the fuel filter too.....it's very possible that a whole can of fuel additive on a nearlly empty tank has disolved a bunch of nasty stuff from the bottom of your tank and has contaminated the system...The filter would be pretty much packed full of crud by now.....good luck with it.