Help me diagnose an electrical issue...

ResisterGo

So, I posted another thread about my new winter beater, a 98 Pathfinder SE. In that thread, I mentioned that it had a few electrical issues.

1 - Cruise doesn't work.

2 - Horn doesn't work.

3 - Dome light doesn't come on when you open the doors.

I pulled every fuse in the truck (all three fuse panels I could find), and they were all fine. Today, I noticed a piece of the dash under the steering wheel wasn't attached properly, so I pulled it off, and discovered two harnesses that weren't attached to anything. They don't fit together. However, I have to wonder if one of these harnesses handles the horn, dome light, and cruise module, and if connecting it to wherever it's supposed to go will fix my problems.

Here are photos of the two harnesses in question:

1: This one looks like it might go to the ECU. It fits into a little metal bracket just below what looks like an ECU to me. I wonder if it's the diagnostic port.

Harness1.jpg

2: This one has a bracket attached to it, but the bracket wasn't screwed into anything. Can't seem to figure out where it goes.

Harness2.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what these are, why they're not connected, and what they should be connected to?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

The black one looks like my plug that the OBD scanner goes onto. Not sure about the white one. but then again I am an electro-tard so I dont know much.

I did a google search for "OBD II Connector" and found a photo of a connector that looks very much like the white one (Harness 1), so I think that must be it, since they're standardized. However, I still don't know what the black one would be for, or where it's supposed to connect to.

:shrug:

I just spent about a half hour under the dash, and I can NOT find the other end to this harness. It's driving me crazy.

In other news, I reek of gasoline because either the pathfinder, or the car next to it in the parking garage has leaked it all over the floor. God, I hope it's not mine... Just another thing to add to the list.

:suicide:

The black one is the Nissan CONSULT connector.

Interesting. I take it that it's Nissan's own proprietary diagnostic system then?

If that's the case, then I guess it's back to the old drawing board with my electrical issues... Boo. Anyone else got an idea?

replace the fuses for the accessories in question, even if they look fine, they could still be bad. I've seen that lots of times.

I suppose anything is possible. And fuses are dirt cheap. Might as well give it a shot before dropping a couple hundred bucks at the shop letting them figure it out. I'm trying to do anything short of tracing the individual wires in each harness myself before wasting money on a mechanic.

Another question I had is, what's the deal with the big square relays in the fuse panel on the driver's side under the hood? (I THINK they're relays anyway...) Can those go bad? Is there any way to check them? Are they something I can pick up for a few bucks at the local AutoZone just to try?

Sure relays can go bad. I am not sure if there is one that controls the dome light, horn and cruise control. but just find a decent manual and look it up. I did check and in my 97 the black harness is for the OBD II scanner. The bracket on the harness attaches it under the steering colunm just to the left of it. I did not look for a white on maybe I will later or tomorrow since it is snowing.

highly unlikely that those relays have gone bad

have you checked for fuses in the engine bay?

every nissan ive owned has a bunch in the cab and a bunch in the engine bay

highly unlikely that those relays have gone bad

have you checked for fuses in the engine bay?

every nissan ive owned has a bunch in the cab and a bunch in the engine bay

I did... There were two fuse/relay panels under the hood (one driver's side, one passenger), and one in the cab (next to the driver's left knee). So unless there's one more hidden somewhere that I missed, I checked them all.

Im not sure about a 98 but have you checked around your battery area to see if any wires/fuse links are corroded? I found that a fuse link was corroded right next to my battery and was the cause of my pwr windows and door locks not working!!

Just a suggestion as my rig is a 95, I havent a clue about the 98! Good Luck!!

Im not sure about a 98 but have you checked around your battery area to see if any wires/fuse links are corroded? I found that a fuse link was corroded right next to my battery and was the cause of my pwr windows and door locks not working!!

Just a suggestion as my rig is a 95, I havent a clue about the 98! Good Luck!!

That's an interesting possibility... and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks for the idea. I'll tackle that this weekend. :aok: