Bought 88 Pathy

Comasco

Hey, I've been reading this board all week and it's an awesome source of info. I bought an 88 Pathy 4x4. It failed smog test today(las vegas). I read a few posts on here about it but theres so many things it could be it seems. I'm a novice with very limited cash atm. It failed idle speed co and idle speed hc. I replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor and oil changed. Also my speedometer is off by 10mph and the trip doesnt work at all, any ideas how to fix that?

Hey, I've been reading this board all week and it's an awesome source of info. I bought an 88 Pathy 4x4. It failed smog test today(las vegas). I read a few posts on here about it but theres so many things it could be it seems. I'm a novice with very limited cash atm. It failed idle speed co and idle speed hc. I replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor and oil changed. Also my speedometer is off by 10mph and the trip doesnt work at all, any ideas how to fix that?

HC's. change the cat.......... i should know..... i live in cetral cali.........and had to smog the 2 pathy's i drive..... my baby gurl failed on HC's. changed the cat n PRESTO. passed with flying colors again. the first time tho i had a blown HG on her.... lol

can you scan n post yer results? i'll be able to tell you straight away what to fix. also, is it stock? what size tires? cuz that can affect a smog test? tho king has 33's the old fart passed first time, sick as a dog, shot exhaust n cat n everything else lmfao... i have friends in low places :D

Edited by Slick

wow, that doesn't help much......... but they shoulda told you what would fix it (or a damn good idea). but i still swear by the cat..... cat's yo can get cheap, install usually cost more than the cat itself lol. mini me failed on her cat this year, $105 later n i got a new HF cat installed by the guys who originally built her exhaust system.

what i don't get is the "idle speed" stuff..........

Edited by Slick

The guy was not much help. All they do is oil changes and smog. He did say when i bring it back he can pretest it to make sure it passes before i pay again. During the test there was an idle rpm test. The range maxed at 1250 rpm, mine was idling at 1080 or so but would jump over 1250 every so often. The other test i failed i believe is the tailpipe emissions being over 220 parts per million.

Edited by Comasco

my god im so happy we dont have those tests, lol idle test? wtf

they look at our bearings, shocks, struts, UBJ, LBJ's, brakes, lights, windshield, parking brake and tires.

and of course no holes in the body

I think i'd fail a smog test.

I Shouldn't be laffin, my inspection is commin up in feb, gulp.

My pathfinder got stolen today. I had it a whole week. I had bought new tires, bunch of tuneup parts, etc.. and spent the whole week working on it. It makes me sick. From now on i'll make sure i have something like the club or a killswitch installed.

My pathfinder got stolen today. I had it a whole week. I had bought new tires, bunch of tuneup parts, etc.. and spent the whole week working on it. It makes me sick. From now on i'll make sure i have something like the club or a killswitch installed.

:ohno01: OMG!!!!!!! wtf!