tranny options for 92 pathy SE

pathmaker1

4x4. what alternatives do i have puttin a manual in her? pathys are few and far between in the jy here and all of em are auto anyway. will one outta 300z work or is the gearin different? would say nissan quest but i doubt they made it manual. what about other manufactureres of vehicles.....toyota, isuzu anything?? i want pretty much a straight bolt on. im about to just but a new one and be done with it but thats gonna be 2k at least!! my auto tranny not gonna last too much longer. figure if i do go new is there a better/stronger one that wont be too much more than OEM?

Thanks

Rich

I think the main issue with any 2wd tranny, even though it would mate up to the engine, is the tail housing. IIRC it's not as simple as removing it and bolting to the T-case, the 4x4 trannys have a case made to mate with the T-case.

Another possible option, if they ever made a manual for them, would be out of a Mazda MVP. I know they were 4x4 and the automatics used the same tranny as we have, so if they had a manual it should be the same or similar to the ones on our trucks.

Edited by GrimGreg

A better option would be to buy a rusted-out 4x4 Pathy with a manual. You're going to need a lot more parts than just the trans, and the cheapest way to get it would be to buy a parts PF that already had them.

That's what I did here - I traded a rusty manual PF to a friend to get his automatic transmission. It was cheaper all the way around, and now we have what's left of the truck to part out.