A/C compressor siezed up?

FUELER

well the air conditioning compressor pulley siezed up on the trail today. The pulley was smoking like a chimney, and engine barely running, so we cut the A/C belt. I wasn't even using the A/C at all. After cutting the belt, i tried to spin the ac compressor by hand and it is stiff as a rock. Has anybody had this happen before?

Estimated costs for A/C compressor replacement? Or could it be something simple?

PS its a 1999 Infiniti QX4 with VG33E

if the clutch seized up, what that would mean is that the pully is perminatly mated to the compressor (as if the compressor were on and running).... you should STILL be able to turn the pully as if everything were running properly. chances are both compressor and clutch are frozen (one im sure took the other one out, could happen either way).

replacing the compressor isint that bad with fewer special tools needed than replacing the clutch. the only roadblock would be recovering r134 (assuming that a loss didnt cause the failure), pulling the required vacuum on the system once new compressor is installed and refilling with r134 and oil. none of is is really all that bad, just a question of how muich you are comfortible taking on and how much stress you can deal with should things start to go south (which they tend to do easily with A/C)

best of luck with everything, and of course well be here to help out as much as possible!

thank you 02silverpath & revgolem!!!

if this helps - the compressor always made a light clicking sound whenever A/C was engaged, but was quiet with A/C off.

I've had A/C problems before, had to replace a punctured condensor and had the A/C vacuumed, charged, and a small (probably 12 oz) can of compressor oil added. This was about three years ago.

The A/C worked great just the day before this happened.

Anyways - when it failed, first it sounded like tumbling rocks and a deep whine, but the pully was wobbling and spinning, then about 60 miles later, the pulley seized and wouldnt move at all. (this was on a trip)

I wish i had cut the belt earlier! I truly feel like the engine is snappier and stronger. Noticeably better gas mileage too. I wonder if my A/C compressor has been slightly bad, hindering my performance for a while?

thank you 02silverpath & revgolem!!!

if this helps - the compressor always made a light clicking sound whenever A/C was engaged, but was quiet with A/C off.

I've had A/C problems before, had to replace a punctured condensor and had the A/C vacuumed, charged, and a small (probably 12 oz) can of compressor oil added. This was about three years ago.

The A/C worked great just the day before this happened.

Anyways - when it failed, first it sounded like tumbling rocks and a deep whine, but the pully was wobbling and spinning, then about 60 miles later, the pulley seized and wouldnt move at all. (this was on a trip)

I wish i had cut the belt earlier! I truly feel like the engine is snappier and stronger. Noticeably better gas mileage too. I wonder if my A/C compressor has been slightly bad, hindering my performance for a while?

Not that much I would think, AC's just a drain to begin with. That's why you always take your AC belt off if you're running a daily driver at the track. You can recover up to ~5% of power wasted on the AC unit (working or not).

Yeah its probably mental... snowsurf we should meet up some time for some brews and compare our QXslows

I'm thinking that the A/C compressor was always a drain on me, i havent done any real testing but i'd bet money that my MPG went up by at least 1 mpg

Edited by FUELER