Timing Chain loose?

CDNBullrid

hey. i am really thinking that the sound coming from my truck is my timing chain. is there a way to check the tension? is it possible for the timing chain to wear out? anyone replace the chain themselves? trust me, i got more questions where those came from, but i'll leave it at that for now.

thanks much

its actually a belt and im not sure bout the rest of your questions but check out these posts:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12828

may be able to give ya some more info.

Incorrect sir!

If his profile is correct, he's driving an 01. The VQ35 has a timing chain, rather than a belt as found in our VG series engines.

To answer the original question, yes, it's possible to wear, though quite uncommon. Not only that, I don't think I've ever heard of one "stretching", though, that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

If you're sure it's coming from the chain, I'd be more inclined to think that maybe a tooth has broken/worn on one of the sprockets.

timing chains can and do stretch. i just replaced one on a saturn the other day that was stretched out to the point that the car wouldn't start.

havent done one on a pathy myself, but alldata call for about 14 hours and the preocess looks pretty intense. that being said the belt the 95s call for 6 but i've done it in 3. if you decide to tackle the job, be sure to consider replacing both primary and secondary chains, tensioner, guides, and crank/cam sprockets. it may seem a bit like overkill, but they have the same amount of miles as the chain and it could save a lot of frustration in the future.

timing chains can and do stretch. i just replaced one on a saturn the other day that was stretched out to the point that the car wouldn't start.

havent done one on a pathy myself, but alldata call for about 14 hours and the preocess looks pretty intense. that being said the belt the 95s call for 6 but i've done it in 3. if you decide to tackle the job, be sure to consider replacing both primary and secondary chains, tensioner, guides, and crank/cam sprockets. it may seem a bit like overkill, but they have the same amount of miles as the chain and it could save a lot of frustration in the future.

It is definitely something to check out whether the chain is "made" to stretch or not. On the VH series engines, the timing chains are NOT supposed to stretch and are made to last the life of the vehicle. On the other hand, the oil pump chain is literally half the size of the timing chains, and it is MADE to stretch and expected to be replaced in regular intervals. I can't answer how the VQ is set up.

hey. i am really thinking that the sound coming from my truck is my timing chain. is there a way to check the tension? is it possible for the timing chain to wear out? anyone replace the chain themselves? trust me, i got more questions where those came from, but i'll leave it at that for now.

thanks much

Describe the sound to us please. Does it sound like a rattle, like someone jiggling a tin can of marbles, an intermitent vibration? On accel or decel or all the time?

to me the sound is just like a loose chain going over the idler. just like pulling a loose chain over something steel. you know the sound. umm. that is the best i can describe it.

So, does it make the noise at idle? at cruise? under hard throttle? on deceleration?

Is the noise the same speed or frequency all the time or does it change exactly with engine rpm? or with road speed?

it changes with rpm. not really audible from in the cab. louder on cold startups, little quieter after engine is to operating temp. quieter during summer startups. the noise is not any kind of shield rattling. thanks for all the help so far guys, i appreciate the input!

My 2001 Altima (90k) I believe shares this sound with your pathy...at any given time it sounds like the AC comperssor is running. A sort of static'y constant wshhh sound...does this best describe your noise? Please keep us updated!

I know that when a tensioner has lost its spring, there is a chance of hearing it bouncing off of the chain cover on the Alty, not sure of the Path. This noise of course then could be the bearings in the tensioner sort of howling.

at first i thought it could be some sort of bearing but i used a stethoscope to rule that out. the sound is a real high pitch, not scream or screach, but a high pick clanking noise? dont know it that is the way to describe it... umm. ya...

right now, I have a heat shield on my passenger side rattling that I can hardly figure out why/where it is loose or touching...very metallic sounding. It is not the post cat heat shield either...pain in the arse! Could your noise be this?

I had those shield all yanked off if they make noise. Pointless unless you're in dry tall grass, and running hot.

at first i thought it could be some sort of bearing but i used a stethoscope to rule that out. the sound is a real high pitch, not scream or screach, but a high pick clanking noise? dont know it that is the way to describe it... umm. ya...

Could be valve train noise that reduces as oil warms up and is pumped up to the top of the engine?

Does the noise have any relation to the A/C being on (maybe the compressor clutch)?

makes noise regardless of a/c position. initally that was a possiblilty but it does it all the time. it is worse in winter but is still audible in summer. even after long treks where the engine is totally warm, it still makes the noise.

Well, maybe it is a timing chain then, I dunno.

SInce it changes with RPM (but being in gear vs. park makes no difference, right?) then is must be engine related, possibly transmission.

I would first look to bearing like you have done, hopefully you were able to get at them all, water pump, alt, tensionser, A/C compressor etc.

Only other things I can think of that changes with RPM is a loose ring gear or an issue with the torque convertor (I assumed it was an automatic?). But I would have thought you would hear that in the interior more since it is so close to the firewall... Have you ever had the transmission out? If it is a five speed and it is the pressure plate/throw out bearing, then pressing the clutch would make a difference.

Pleae post back when you solve this one.

it is an 01 LE. 3.5L Auto. i have not gotten to the waterpump bearing because it is not visible. it is behind the cover right? i did get to check the alt, tensioner, and a/c. i was thinking a/c at first but it didn't make a difference whether it was engaged or not. i'm sure it is from the engine and sounds to be coming right from the front. it makes no difference on transmission position. thanks for the help and i will post back if ever the problem is solved.