1995 won't stay running

Splinter

I'm going to check it out in the morning, but I thought I'd throw it up on here first and see what the consensus is.

1995 3.0L Auto.

Driving down the road today for about 45 mins. It's nice and warmed up, but it's very wet outside. Around 7* and slushy and wet. After 45 mins of driving it just quit. Tried to start it, it spits and sputters and tries really hard to go, but it quits after 2-4 seconds of running. It doesn't quite run either, it sounds like its on 3 cyls or something.

I am assuming fuel pump as I don't hear the whir coming from the tank when I turn the key.

I DO however hear the relays click on and off under the hood.

I am going to pull the inspection panel in the cargo area and check my connections in the morn and see if anything is corroded or just wet. I'll spray some wire dryer on the connections too.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone.

Chris

OH, ALSO, will a used pump from other model years work? I am sure they are quite compatable but don't know what years have the same pump. I've found two used pumps from a 91 and a 90. Will they work?

Edited by Splinter

Yeah.....they're similar all the way up from at least 90.

could be simply the wiring on the sending unit, however. That's more common to be the culprit than the pump itself.

Cool. Thanks Simon.

Now, can you please clarify something for me. What role does the sending unit play in getting fuel to the engine? My thought was that the sending unit was only for the fuel gauge.

Thanks again.

Chris

To tell you the truth it was changed about a year ago, but I'll start there.

I'm just pulling up the carpet this morning and starting to pull the inspection plate.

I'll check the wiring first and then go to the filter.

I am concerned that I can't hear the pump cycle on when I first turn the key, but I've never actually noticed it run before either. I can hear the relays click on and off but no pump.

Thanks for the ideas.

ok, found a wire broken off. Stripped it back to good clean wire checked it for 12v and cleaned up the terminal, but still nothing.

Across the top of all 4 connectors there is a plastic piece that bridges across them. They aren't all connected together are they? It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm taking a stab at it.

Edited by Splinter