How to install camber adjustment bolts

colinnwn

Hi All,

How do you install camber adjustment bolts like these? http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/81260.htm

If you check out the poorly worded directions http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/81250-81290.pdf

it says, "For positive camber correction (in the upper strut mount hole), install with the... bolt head arrow facing the engine."

I took this to mean if the camber was positive and you want to correct it towards 0 (or negatively). But it could also mean the opposite, i.e. if you would like to correct the camber in a positive direction.

On New Years Day I finished up the install of lift springs on my Pathfinder. I have done strut replacements on an Altima, and the Pathfinder was much more difficult than I anticipated. Here are my longish comments on the topic http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2007/12/insta...on-my-2001.html . The AC springs gave me over 3 inches of lift. I like the way it looks, but this may have been too much. I installed only one camber bolt in each of the upper strut mount holes, preferring to keep the much larger stock bolt in the bottom mount holes. The front wheels still have very visible positive camber which results in poor cornering adhesion and abnormal tire wear. I was wondering if I misunderstood the camber bolt directions and installed them wrong. If not, I'll try putting the 2nd adjustment bolt in each of the lower mount holes.

Thanks.

Yo man, this is the 2nd pathy R50 that I have lifted and still there is no way to guess good alignment. Make sure that you are happy with the suspension up front and go get an alignment...EVERYTHING is better when aligned! My alignment guy told me I got "close" on one side, but I still can't make them toe different without having his gauge (& equipment).

Yo man, this is the 2nd pathy R50 that I have lifted and still there is no way to guess good alignment.

I agree, though after seeing the terrible job National Tire and Battery did assembling my struts I have thought about getting my own alignment tools. Caster and toe are hard to see, but camber is more easily visible. My camber is so positive right now that the truck howls when making tight slow turns on slick asphalt. I'd like to take it in with my camber bolts properly installed, so the shop doesn't try to charge me for their camber "kits".

I agree, though after seeing the terrible job National Tire and Battery did assembling my struts I have thought about getting my own alignment tools. Caster and toe are hard to see, but camber is more easily visible. My camber is so positive right now that the truck howls when making tight slow turns on slick asphalt. I'd like to take it in with my camber bolts properly installed, so the shop doesn't try to charge me for their camber "kits".

Caster is not adjustable on the R50. Camber isn't adjustable except with the Ingalls camber bolts. Toe is the only "adjustable" alignment parameter that a shop's alignment computer will indicate.

If your truck has positive camber that needs correcting, you will want to install the Ingalls bolts in the upper strut holes so that the bolt cam lobes face towards the engine. (Always make sure the tabbed washer points away from the engine.) This will push the top of the knuckle inwards, relative to the strut, decreasing camber. If you need additional correction for excessively positive camber, you can put a second set of bolts in the lower bolt-holes, but face the cam lobes away from the engine. Sorry, I don't have the bolts myself, so I don't know if the arrows on the bolt-heads are oriented with or opposite from the cams. It should be pretty easy to tell just by looking at the bolts themselves.

By the way, adjusting toe by yourself isn't really that hard. This website describes an interesting technique.

Edited by XPLORx4

I had "Type R" bolts, or at least I think that is what they were...anyway the arrows seemed to be just slightly off of the full correction...

My alignment guy is the best. He has a sign about not bringing your own parts, but that is just a warning. Of course my parts are usually on the truck already and just need his attention. This dude pointed out on my other pathy that I had a little wobble in the front left, noticed my Warns and new brakes told me to get back in there and tighten the lock nut thingy more...he was right...saved me a wheel bearing or gaskets or both anyhow....I love my little country town even though it wants to be BIGG!