Will these fit? Or will these hit?

GhostPath

I have someone locally who's offering me a screaming deal on some wheels and tires - on the condition that I only take them if I can use them and don't sell them.

They are 16x10s with new 265/70R16s on them. Essentially, those are 31x10.5's (30.61x10.43), so I know from reading here that since the SEs had those as an option they should fit in terms of tire dimensions.

My concern is over the backspacing; they are 4.5" backspacing. Will these have any issues with rubbing on steering, suspension, or braking parts on my 90 WD21 SE? Will the 10" width cause any problems for the bearings or the hubs? I've done some searching and there seem to be conflicting answers. Note that I will never be mounting tires larger than this on the truck at all, so please do not keep potential future expansion in mind as there will not be any.

Rapid replies would be appreciated so I could take advantage of this. Thanks!

Well normally 10" wide rims are suited better for the likes of 33X12.5's. Do they look like the sidewall goes "in" from the rim to the tread?

With the rim being wider than the tyre they'd be more likely to pop off the bead when normally driving let alone wheelin.

I'm sure someone will say "they'll be fine", put it this way, I wouldn't :aok:

If you were going to a bigger tyre later the go for it, but a 31X10.5 should really be on an 8" rim (in a perfect world) :D

Mine however are on 7" :lol: but I couldn't get White spokes here in an 8". 1" in is better than 2" out :aok:

BTW I (not for much longer) work for Firestone here in NZ (7 years), that's where my $0.02 is coming from :D

:beer:

I've looked at them, and it doesn't look like that at all. The sidewall looks more or less straight up.

I've been thinking about it, and I *might* go to a 275 or 285 width, but keep the height the same. Either way, Yokohama says that a 265 can safely be installed on wheels 8.5-10.0 inches wide. A 275 can be used on 9.0-10.5" wide wheels, per them...

Like I said, I'm concerned more about the wheel itself scraping on critical parts of the undercarriage.

well, im not totally certain, but i think the stock backspacing on my lego wheels were like 5 inches or so, so techincally you should be ok.

If its a screaming deal worst comes to worst you can get quarter inch spacers with longer wheel studs.

• 2 months later...

Bringing back this old thread so I dont get yelled at for making a new one :-)

I found a good deal on some:

TIRES - Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTZ Tires

31x10.50R15LT 80% tread left

WHEELS - Rock Crawler Series 97, Steel

15x8, on 6x5.5

Black Powder Coat

520$

I am checking on the backspacing as we speak, I just wanted to see if these would be ok for a stock pathfinder?