break trouble

XEcaribe

my breaks have been acting funny latley, ive been filling up my break fluid and slowly it would drain out and my breaks slowly get worse and worse. now my breaks are completely gone but my break fluid is filled, the fluid is all brown and dirty. im at school and have to leave soon, anyone know whats causing this problem and what i should do?

Your brakes don't work at all, yet you've got fluid? I'm going to assume your master cylinder is shot. Don't drive it till it's fixed.

If the fluid is low, and keeps draining, it's not uncommon for wheel cylinders (rear drums) to leak. But based upon what you said above, I'm going to assume master cylinder.

is replacing the master cylinder difficult? im at school and have limited tools. also can i get one at an autoparts store easily?

It's a fairly easy job and only requires a few hand tools.

The one step that needs to be done is bench bleeding the new master cylinder to get all the air out of it. Having an vice will make this process very easy as you need to have the cylinder securely mounted so you can push the push rod in. Usually the new cylinder will come with plugs and tubes to bench bleed. You can get one from an auto parts store. There will be a core charge too most likely.

Then you bleed the rest of the system after the new master has been installed. You will have to have help with this or use a self bleed method using a bottle and tube or gravity bleed the system.

can you please tell me more about the process after installing it. i do not have a vice only some wrenches and hand tools. im at school and have to do this all in the parking lot. im trying to save money and do this myself but would i be better off taking it to a shop if i dont have the right tools? thank you.

yeah definitly want a work bench and vice to hold the new master cylinder for the bench-bleeding....you cant just hold it in your hands and do it.

I replaced mine in my 1990 a few years ago (my first master cylinder replacement ever...) and I thought it was pretty easy overall....just have to pay attention with not getting any air bubbles in the fluid while bleeding the system.

I think its fairly common that the master cylinders will leak with age where it bolts to the firewall as the inner seals go bad......my fluid would leak there and run down the firewall ....removing the paint also!

-Chris