Engine Swap... Diesel... for a WD21 2 Door

Harvey

Hi All!

I'm wanting to ask what diesel engines would fit in the WD21 model? I can't see anything on this site to say one over the other and i'm not having much luck on google.

I'm wondering if the later ZD30 engine would fit and i've just seen on ebay in a WD21 Navara a 3.2 diesel? A] would these fit, B] would they mate up to the standard 5 speed box and c] has anyone done a swap to these later engines?

I've driven the 2.7's both with and without intercoolers and i'm not a fan hence why i'm thinking of other diesel engines.

Thanks all

Harv.

I've driven the 2.7's both with and without intercoolers and i'm not a fan hence why i'm thinking of other diesel engines.

not a fan? do explain why

the idea of popping a zd30 (minus the crap stuff that makes em go BOOM) in my pathy has ran thru my mind a few times, i would suspect it would fit however i think a body lift would be in order. if i was to do it i would just throw the patrol gearbox and transfer case at it as well. i suspect there would be no adaptors available. so then its much easier to put a patrol front axle in as well!! - dont have to cut & flip.

alternatively you could cut and paste with zd30 navara parts. obviously you will need to make mounts acorddingly & wire electricals but hey thats with just about any engine swap

i think a d21 with a zd30 would go like the clappers & have a bit of grunt to boot.

not a fan? do explain why

Simply gutless would be why. Prior to driving the TD27 without intercooler I drover a Land Cruiser with a 3.0 KZT engine [no E as it was minus the electronic diesel injection and intercooler]. It was a powerhouse of a motor and had the perfect gearing for it too. Every since then every diesel i've experienced has come a very distant second save for the new toyota D4D engines. The TD 27 or TD27I just doesn't come close for seat of the pants feeling. Which is why i like the thought of the ZD3.0 from nissan.

I particularly like the suggestion of the patrol gearbox with it but we'll have to wait and see. I'm a fan of diesels. Save for race cars [though this arguement is waring thin when you look at the Le Mans Audi's] I can't see a whole lotta sense for petrols now a days.

i think you would be on a winner with a zd30, minus the crap, in a d21. would like to see the end results if you ever get around to doing it

Edited by sw

to help me... what do you classify as the 'cr*p' in the ZD30?

well the crap stuff on zd30's:

1. variable nozzle turbo

2. variable nozzle turbo actuator

3. exhaust gas recirculation system

other things to consider are the first few series of blocks had poor oil circulation - so a later block is the only one to consider, addition of a catch can to the crank case breather, the maf sensor becoming a regulary serviced item - by serviced i mean replaced, addition of a cav filter - the pumps are very sensative to junk in the fuel.

Edited by sw