What is the perfect/correct oil type for a 90 pathfinder?

NaturaTek

When I obtained my pathy, I had the oil changed. They told me to get 10w something, I did. I bought Mobil 1 and they changed it. However, I was shopping for oil again, to be brave enough to change my own oil..then I noticed theres a 5w for suvs/trucks. Is this the one I should be using? Is there any harm associated in using different types (5w, 10w, etc)? My pathy has a little over 155,000 miles, is there a pretty good oil type I should be sticking too?

On a side note, are there really differences in oils? Someone told me not to waste bucks on Mobil One, but go with the cheap 2$ walmart brand, because I'll be changing it anyway. Hmm, he maybe right, but if I can get a little more protection or performance from mobile one, I'll stick with it.

I would avoid the wal mart oil (store brand stuff) as I see it like this...just like the STORE BRAND FOOD products that grocery stores have....they are always cheaper BUT taste like CRAP! so when it comes to something as important as motor oils, stick with name brand....some costs a little less than others but still better than store brands. Save those for lawnmowers and old klunkers that barely run anyway.

the lighter weight oils MAY tend to leak more through worn seals/gaskets as many have reported here with the older models and not so much with a heavier weight oil for obvious reasons.

I like synthetics too and the overall bests I hear are Amsoil and Redline but come with a steep costs, so with the pathys, going with a good conventional oil will do you fine and for older high mileage ones, like yours and mine (also a 1990 with 240,000 miles on it) I like to go with a slightly heavier weight like 10w 40 or 15w....for the extra protection with the high mileage.

I use Castrol GTX in the engine changed every 3,000 miles

I use redline in my tranny and differentials.

Alot of it depends on what sort of climate you live in as well. Here in Western Australia where I live with a winter temp of 5-10 degrees F as the absolute lowest and 50-60 during the day you'd run a different oil than if you lived in Canada where it's -30 in the morning and -5 during the day. It's also about 100-120 degrees F during the day in summer here too. Here's a handy link to have a read of: http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm

• 1 month later...
When I obtained my pathy, I had the oil changed. They told me to get 10w something, I did. I bought Mobil 1 and they changed it. However, I was shopping for oil again, to be brave enough to change my own oil..then I noticed theres a 5w for suvs/trucks. Is this the one I should be using? Is there any harm associated in using different types (5w, 10w, etc)? My pathy has a little over 155,000 miles, is there a pretty good oil type I should be sticking too?

On a side note, are there really differences in oils? Someone told me not to waste bucks on Mobil One, but go with the cheap 2$ walmart brand, because I'll be changing it anyway. Hmm, he maybe right, but if I can get a little more protection or performance from mobile one, I'll stick with it.

oil thins as it heats up so:

the 5 in 5w30 means the oil has a cold startup wt of a

5w oil:

light... for safe engine starts.

the 30 in 5w30 means the oil has the wt "characteristics"

of a 30 wt oil at normal operating temp:

heavier... meaning it changes its

wieght "characteristics" or its viscosity with varying engine

temps.

so 0 or 5w30 or 40 in the winter and 10 or 20w30 40 or even 50

in the summer is what u want to use.

:tonguefinger: :tonguefinger: :tonguefinger: :tonguefinger: