Headlights Kill Pathfinder

twoface2486

1995 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Today I went to the gas station to fill up and when I was ready to leave and the car would not restart. I would turn the key on and it sounded like every single relay on the car was clicking. I check the fuses and I found that the "shift lock fuse" was blown. So I replaced it, but I still could not restart my pathfinder. The clicking was gone but now the battery was dead. The battery is brand new. I had my buddy jump start the car and it fired right up. I pulling out and turned on the lights and the car just completley died. We jumped it again and he followed me back to the house without lights. I get home and turned the lights on again and it killed itself again. Has the happened to any of you guys, because I am lost.

1995 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Today I went to the gas station to fill up and when I was ready to leave and the car would not restart. I would turn the key on and it sounded like every single relay on the car was clicking. I check the fuses and I found that the "shift lock fuse" was blown. So I replaced it, but I still could not restart my pathfinder. The clicking was gone but now the battery was dead. The battery is brand new. I had my buddy jump start the car and it fired right up. I pulling out and turned on the lights and the car just completley died. We jumped it again and he followed me back to the house without lights. I get home and turned the lights on again and it killed itself again. Has the happened to any of you guys, because I am lost.

I had that happen on a '74 Malibu Classic and my old '87 Colt... Both instances were a dead altenator... Yard it out or drive to a place that does rebuilds on them and have them spin it up on the testers they have and see if that's the issue...

Chances are, ya need a new altenator...

Get your truck started and then while running, remove the positive(red) terminal off the battery. If it still running, then the alternator is fine. If it remains running, have someone turn on you head lights while you have a volt meter on the removed positive cable and on the negative post. If it drops out, the voltage I mean, then your alternator regulator is gone. If it just dies, it could be the alternator or it could be the starter solenoid, as it has a lot of the heavier electrical components can run through the starter. If this seems to be the way it goes, remove the item that you think is bad, take it to Auto Zone or something like it and the should test it for free. If the starter tests bad, ask them to test the solenoid.

If this doesn't seem to sound right or not work, than I have no idea but to let some electrical guru take a look at it.

Good luck

Semper Fi