Light trails

Tincan4X4

Gonna go do some light trails with my son this weekend. It will be the first time out with the pathfinder. Should I leave the swaybars attached or disconnect? Or leave the front on and disconnect the rear? Or completely remove the front cause its useless and disconnect the rear? :coffee!:

Leave the front alone. You gain NOTHING by removing/disconnecting it on a WD21 Pathy. Believe me, I've run with, and without. Makes no difference, but makes a big difference on the road.

In terms of the rear, it does limit travel quite a bit, so you may want to think about disconnecting it if you're going to be off camber a lot. I've taken mine right off, and there's not too much difference on the road, and a HUGE difference off.

There is no 2L. Make sure your tranny is in neutral, and push down on the shifter to pop it back into 4HI, then forward again (no push down) to get it into 2wd.

There is no 2L. Make sure your tranny is in neutral, and push down on the shifter to pop it back into 4HI, then forward again (no push down) to get it into 2wd.

Shift pattern on the TC shifter-

2h(no 2L, like you said :P)

4h

N

4L

I can only pull it back to 4L. I push down and forward and it wont move(from N).

Edit: I just went and tried it again. I can pull it down one position from what I beleive is N, and the dash lights up. I can push down and pull back another notch but the light goes out.

Edited by Tincan4X4

Do you normally have a problem shifting it?

If you've never done it before, or it's been a long time then go underneath and shoot some WD40 or whatever you want on the linkage and work it back and forth.

Edited by Splinter

The light goes out.....it's most likely in Neutral. you were in 4Hi if you pushed down and were able to pull back another notch. Pushing down, and pulling back 1 more, should get you into 4L.

Now....once you've been in 4HI, sometimes you have to put it back in 2wd, and then back up a few feet to get the auto hubs to release. At which point, the light should go out.

The light goes out.....it's most likely in Neutral. you were in 4Hi if you pushed down and were able to pull back another notch. Pushing down, and pulling back 1 more, should get you into 4L.

Now....once you've been in 4HI, sometimes you have to put it back in 2wd, and then back up a few feet to get the auto hubs to release. At which point, the light should go out.

So you think I could be in 2H position right now and not in nuetral?

What happens when you put the it in gear? Does it go anywhere? If so then you have your t-case engaged. IF your not sure if it's in 4h or 2 h put it in gear and make a sharp turn. If it feels like the front end is pulling and making the steering wheel pull back and forth ( and you'll know what I mean when it happens) then you are in 4h. Back up a few feet like Simon says and try it again to see if it disengaged your front hubs.

If it doesn't do it then you are in 2h.

I got nothing. I pulled the shifter all the way back to the position just before having to push down to go into 4L. This should be Nuetral. The dash indicator is lit up at this position. So i reversed for 10-15Ft. Light stays on.

Next I shifted 1 position forward(should be 4H) the dash light is out at this postion, so I move forward 10-15Ft and the light stays out and I cannot feel any difference in driving.

Next I try to go into 2H, no go, shifter will not go any further forward.

so I try 4L, which does exactly the same thing as 4H.

Do I have a jacked up TC? This would truly suck.

NO...wrong....

The position BEFORE you have to push down is 4HI. Push down, pull back 1 position, that's neutral. Push down, pull back 2 positions, that's 4LO.

The "1 position forward" is 2wd. Your transfer case is fine.

NO...wrong....

The position BEFORE you have to push down is 4HI. Push down, pull back 1 position, that's neutral. Push down, pull back 2 positions, that's 4LO.

The "1 position forward" is 2wd. Your transfer case is fine.

Ok so if thats how it shifts then I have been in 2H since I bought it. And I cannot shift into 4L(I push down and can only go back 1 position).

Which means that when the owners before me did the 3" body lift, they probably didnt make the necessary changes to the shifter to allow a shift into 4L.

NOW you're talking!

That's most likely what happened. :)

Easy fix. Either

A) Get a HB shifter

B) Take yours out and bend it

C) Notch the floor so that the shifter will slide back into 4 lo. You may have to notch 2" or more back from the shifter. This is what I did. Still have to make a new boot to cover the now larger hole.

NOW you're talking!

That's most likely what happened. :)

Easy fix. Either

A) Get a HB shifter

B) Take yours out and bend it

C) Notch the floor so that the shifter will slide back into 4 lo. You may have to notch 2" or more back from the shifter. This is what I did. Still have to make a new boot to cover the now larger hole.

Yep.

Now I have to figure out if my auto hubs are working correctly.

When I had it in 4H, the dash indicator was on, assuming this means the hubs are locked, I reversed it for 10-15Ft, yet the light stayed on. So my hubs are not disengaging. This is under the assumption that the light means hubs locked.

Would this be correct?

Thanks for all the help Simon.

Yeah....but that's what's supposed to happen. If in 4HI, or 4LO, the indicator light should stay on regardless of direction.

If you had shifted into 2WD, and the light stayed on, that's when reversing should have kicked the light off.

Chances are your hubs are fine. Just get that shifter issue fixed, and then test..... Sounds to me like it's your only issue.

Yeah....but that's what's supposed to happen. If in 4HI, or 4LO, the indicator light should stay on regardless of direction.

If you had shifted into 2WD, and the light stayed on, that's when reversing should have kicked the light off.

Chances are your hubs are fine. Just get that shifter issue fixed, and then test..... Sounds to me like it's your only issue.

Ahh, Ok. I guess this whole thing just got me a bit paranoid.

So how do you test that the hubs did in fact lock? Once I know this I should be pretty squared away on this.

Okay. Go to a parking lot. Put it in 4HI. Light should be on. SLOWLY move forward and turn the wheels to full lock either way (doesn't matter). The truck should feel like it's hopping. If so, your 4wd works fine. Then put it back into 2wd, and reverse (if necessary) to turn off the indicator light. Do the same thing, move forward slowly and you shouldn't feel the truck hopping. That means the hubs/transfer case are working as they should.

Also the 4x4 Indicator light is not a good method to go by to determine if you are in 4WD. In my pathy the light won't go on until I'v been in 4wd for a couple 100 feet sometimes. I have found the easiest way to determine if you're in 4wd is to drive on to some dirt or loose gravel. Shift into 4hi drive forward a couple of feet, then floor it. If your rear tires spin you're not in 4wd. If you launch with little or no wheel spin you're in 4wd.

Also do NOT drive in 4hi or 4lo on cement. When in 4wd you need to be on a surface that will allow your tires to spin to release binding in the drivetrain.

Update-

Removed rear sway bar completely, barely noticed any difference in roll.

The plastic ring thing inside the shiftboot is what was not allowing me into 4L.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Pics of my weekend can be found in the pics/videos forum.