shorted out?

92pathy

hey guys im at the moment plauged with some electrical gremlins....heres the thing the other night i was hooking up an amp for my stereo and one of the loose wires touched the metal part of the cd player and i headrd a fuse pop, i thought it was nothing so i replaced it and npthing changed still no cd player or the digits on the clock, the backlight works but no digits?

do you guys have any idea what it could be? i really need music in my car cause i cant sing worth crap!

please hit me up with some input

hey guys im at the moment plauged with some electrical gremlins....heres the thing the other night i was hooking up an amp for my stereo and one of the loose wires touched the metal part of the cd player and i headrd a fuse pop, i thought it was nothing so i replaced it and npthing changed still no cd player or the digits on the clock, the backlight works but no digits?

do you guys have any idea what it could be? i really need music in my car cause i cant sing worth crap!

please hit me up with some input

First off, always always always disconnect the battery!!! Ok, lecture done. :)

You say you still have back light illumination, but nothing else, so it sounds to me like you fried either the switched "ACC" circuit or the constant battery circuit. First off, check ALL your fuses. Not just anything mentioning "Radio." You never know what a previous owner might have hacked.

The backlight on the deck usually runs via the "Illum" circuit for illumination, while the deck is powered at rest (not turned on) by a constant battery source (usually "BATT+" or similar) for the clocks and memory. When the stereo is actually on and functioning, its on a switched/accessory circuit, which is turned on by turning the ignition key to accessory and beyond.

The easy test at this point is, disconnect all power at the deck (but leave ground), then find a close constant (Batt+) source or simply run a jumper wire from the battery to test the circuits (with a fuse inline, or maybe a test light). Try connecting to the constant to see if it gains any additional functions like the clock/display/numbers, etc. Then try connecting to ACC (switched) source to see if the deck powers up. If it works on the jumper, you killed something (a fuse or a fried wire) somewhere along the way.

Happy hunting!

Edited by Mr. Pickles

i was CADDing at the time..

dammit i hate it when that happens...i forget sometimes when im at work and send some messages to friends on the gmail chat and they're like wtf you yellin about...

BESIDES THE FUSES IN THE FUSE BOX THERE IS MOST LIKELY A FUSE IUNSIDE THE HEAD UNIT.. YOU MIGHT HAVE BLOWN THAT PUP TOO.

but yep thats what I would have suggested too...