Which tires for a 97' R50? :o

ozzy

I just recently bought my r50 two days ago, and i am absolutely tired of looking at the pathetic 235's that are on there - gross. Nissan should have been like, wow our SUV looks beefy as hell, why don't we throw some kick ass tires on there...but NO.

Im a beginner, i've never actually gone off-roading. Although, i want to have have a little bit of fun.

I am debating if i should get AT's or MT's...i will also be fitting in some 15x8 cragar soft 8's...

I will be going off road a little bit, whenever i have time, but with college it'll mostly be on the road...i know what you guys are thinking AT's

but the MT's look so much damn beefier

anyone? input on gas mileage/life of tires/anything

thanks.

Edited by ozzy

MT's will have a shorter tread life, decrease MPG, which you will learn is a big factor in mods and purchases as these things SUCK gas, are normally louder and normally cost more. I would recommend an AT (and stay away from BFG but thats a personal pref as i think that you will over pay for a BFG but thats just my .02)

Im a beginner, i've never actually gone off-roading. Although, i want to have have a little bit of fun.

I am debating if i should get AT's or MT's..

MT's will be louder, wear faster, and provide lower fuel economy than AT's. If you'll be doing primarily highway driving with the occasional jaunt off the pavement, the BFG AT will do you fine. My previous set of BFG AT 31" tires lasted 40K miles, and if my rig were still a daily driver, it would be wearing BFG AT 32" tires (or possibly a set of Bridgestone AT Revo's). The 32" Goodyear MT/R's I'm running now perform great off-road, but they are LOUD, and aren't wearing nearly as nicely as my BFG AT's used to. BTW, my friend's Xterra is equipped with BFG MT's and they don't seem to perform as well off-road (on rocks) as my MT/R's do.

Edited by XPLORx4

MT's will be louder, wear faster, and provide lower fuel economy than AT's. If you'll be doing primarily highway driving with the occasional jaunt off the pavement, the BFG AT will do you fine. My previous set of BFG AT 31" tires lasted 40K miles, and if my rig were still a daily driver, it would be wearing BFG AT 32" tires (or possibly a set of Bridgestone AT Revo's). The 32" Goodyear MT/R's I'm running now perform great off-road, but they are LOUD, and aren't wearing nearly as nicely as my BFG AT's used to. BTW, my friend's Xterra is equipped with BFG MT's and they don't seem to perform as well off-road (on rocks) as my MT/R's do.

the greatest feeling is going back to a post and seeing a reply. thanks a lot dudes...

i also have a question about Warn Hubs...

..is there a Conversion required in order for me to use the 15x8 Cragars on my R50? or is it as simple as taking off the stock rim/wheels and replacing them with 15x8's wrapped in 31's - same bolts and all?

...hmm, and i know the lug pattern is 6 x 5.50, correct?

Edited by ozzy

I just put a set of BFG AT's on my 96 last week and they are a definite upgrade from the old tires. The steering is better and I have less body roll not to mention a beefy tread for winter. :aok:

heck yeah -- i wonder if it'll finally feel like a truck..the 235 feels like i'm driving a car...i might get a stiffening rod or something after i get my lift..i don't know haven't planned out that far..but i do have wordpad open with a few notes.. :)

OH, and what size did you get?

Edited by ozzy

I was running 31x10.5x15 inch Bridgestone AT Revo. I loved them, in the snow, on ice and on rocks and mud. I just sold my rims and tires and I got some BFGoodrich AT KO on my stock rims today. I'll let you know how they go after their first offroad trip this weekend!

I was running 31x10.5x15 inch Bridgestone AT Revo. I loved them, in the snow, on ice and on rocks and mud. I just sold my rims and tires and I got some BFGoodrich AT KO on my stock rims today. I'll let you know how they go after their first offroad trip this weekend!

that'd be great, thank you.

heck yeah -- i wonder if it'll finally feel like a truck..the 235 feels like i'm driving a car...i might get a stiffening rod or something after i get my lift..i don't know haven't planned out that far..but i do have wordpad open with a few notes.. :)

OH, and what size did you get?

I think my old ones were 235 as well. Regardless, they were a 28" all-season tire and I now have 30" all-terrains. As I mentioned, big improvement in handling and appearance. :clap:

????????

what was your question about hubs?

might want to try searching for answers as theres a lot of good info on the forum

it was probably a really dumb question.