How do I know if I need to replace my timing belt?

BobLoblaw

Whenever I buy a used car with a timing belt, UNLESS I get proven receipts of the timing belt being changed, I just always spring for the change...

Its hard to tell on a belt unless it was really recent..... maybe check out the water pump also... see if thats newer...

But all in all I would say just change it....better than changing an engine...

Exhaust manifold studs have basically nothing to do with the timing belt. IE, you won't save money by having them both done.

To do the Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, t-stat (the basics for the job, really. Some people will do cam seals, but I don't like to fiddle with them if they aren't leaking) anywhere in the $600-1000 range is about average. IT's not a cheap job, though, parts are only a couple hundred dollars. It's time consuming.

If there's anyone that lives near you that has done one before, you could tackle the job yourself with basic tools.

I keep reading horror stories about timing belts going and people's trucks being ruined - needless to say, I'm scared that my '94 Pathy with 215K could have this problem.

How do I know if it needs replacing?

If you have to ask you need to do it. Just that simple.

If you have to ask you need to do it. Just that simple.

Okay, I check again (in the daylight) and saw that there is a sticker under my hood that says it was serviced at 186K. I'm at 216K, so I think I'm good. I so happy I don't have to repair this.

What is the life of the timing belt (in KM's)? When should I get it serviced next?