Looking at Pathfinders.. love the 1999.5

deciblast

This will be my first Pathfinder and I will make more of a presence on these forums once I make a purchase. I'm going to use it primarily for taking my surf boards to the beach and driving up to Tahoe. My daily driver is a 2006 Scion tC, so this is strictly a weekend warrior. Something that will last and keep its value when I decide to sell it and upgrade is important.

I searched Craigslist for the most reasonable Pathfinders above 1994 and in good condition. I really like the 1999.5 but it's a little bit above my range. I was thinking about offering $5800 for it but I don't know if they'd accept. The next two look like they should last a lot longer than the last car but I'm by no means a Pathfinder expert. What do you guys think?

141K miles - Nice 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4..New Body Style..Loaded! - $6500 (petaluma)

new tranny, radiator

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/457720801.html

135K miles - 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 $5300

new clutch, tuneup, new tires

link expired

152K miles - 1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x4 SUV - $3000 (coastside)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/457462230.html

190K miles - 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 $2500 OBO - $2500 (oakland hills / mills)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/463084862.html

Edited by deciblast

I know nothing about the pre 96 Pathfinders but I will offer these comments on that 99.5:

It will have the older motor, you need to make sure the timing belt has been dealt with or you have it in your budget to do. I also question why the trannie had to be done at 110,000 miles, is this a sign of poor regular maintenance? The one good thing here is they seem happy with Pathfinders as they have bought a new one (so they claim anyway).

Looks clean but make sure you give it a good going over. Offer whatever you are comfortable with paying, all they can say is no.

First thing: Don't settle for a 2 wheel drive truck. If you are doing any kind of dirt road/beach driving you may only kick yourself one time for not having the ability to power those front wheels, but that one time could cost you your vehicle.

I agree on the tranny replacement, I have put over 160k on these autos with no problems. I don't know how opposed you are to a manual, but that 1997 with the manual tranny looks like a good deal assuming it is in good shape. The manual transmission will provide years of reliable service assuming only STRAIGHT GL4 (NO GL5) fluid is put into it and make the vehicle much more economical, powerful, and fun to drive.

Edited by systemf

First thing: Don't settle for a 2 wheel drive truck. If you are doing any kind of dirt road/beach driving you may only kick yourself one time for not having the ability to power those front wheels, but that one time could cost you your vehicle.

Ha, not an issue here in the Great White North :D 2wd Pathfinders were never sold new here, only as used imports from the States, so it is something I never even look at as I assume they all have it (the 99.5 shown does as it has the transfer case shift lever next to the trannie shifter).

1999.5 - Yeah I also wonder why a transmission and radiator had to be replaced at 110K.

I'm definitely ONLY looking at 4WD trucks. I'm not opposed to manual, 3 of those cars are 5 speed. I prefer getting it because I know it'll last longer with less maintenance. I previously owned a 89 Honda CRX Si (Sold at 198000 miles, no major maintenance) and 92 Integra LS (Totalled at 192000 miles, someone ran a red, no major maintenance), both of which were 5speeds. Since my tC is automatic for city driving, I would love to have 5 speed on the highway again!

My roommate echoed the same thoughts on the 1999.5, so I'll go check the 1997 out today.

1999.5 - Yeah I also wonder why a transmission and radiator had to be replaced at 110K.

I'm definitely ONLY looking at 4WD trucks. I'm not opposed to manual, 3 of those cars are 5 speed. I prefer getting it because I know it'll last longer with less maintenance. I previously owned a 89 Honda CRX Si (Sold at 198000 miles, no major maintenance) and 92 Integra LS (Totalled at 192000 miles, someone ran a red, no major maintenance), both of which were 5speeds. Since my tC is automatic for city driving, I would love to have 5 speed on the highway again!

My roommate echoed the same thoughts on the 1999.5, so I'll go check the 1997 out today.

The SE package even on the earlier models is nice!

The trannie cooler is integral with the rad, so it would be a good idea to replace the rad (and hence the trannie cooler) at the same time as the trannie. Just a thought.

Same issue with the timing belt, as it is the same motor.