seal's worn area on shaft?

Guest tragedyann

Guest tragedyann

Ok I only seem to appear when i have problems. Sorry. ;)

My mechanic has had my Pathfinder for a month now and i'm going into withdrawal.

I had taken it to him to get the rear main seal and some other junk replaced b/c it was leaking oil pretty badly.

So they did all that and it was still leaking.

So now they are saying that the seal has worn an area out around the shaft (I don't know if i'm talking about the right thing or not-sorry).

Anyway, they are telling me that this is a common problem in nissans and they've tried seating the seal further back and etc etc.

It's still leaking out all my oil.

Has anyone ever encountered this??

Also, what was that stuff you guys were talking about putting in to make the seals swell up (and stop oil leaks)?? I'm wondering if that would work in this case or if I'm doomed.

:(

Thanks

don't put any crap in there to swell the seals, they'll just go again sooner. I do believe that there is a compound that you can buy to fill in the efected area. Or can you put a sleave on it? i'd ask the mech abou it.

rear main...?? that musta cost some $$$ well i dont think they can sleeve that one butget some engine brite and clean your engine off WHEN COLD, then start it up and see where it somes from... if it still comes from the back (between the trans) it could be a galley plug ( not likely ) or the seal was done incorrectly good luck

Guest tragedyann

Thanks guys.

The mechanic said he's trying everything and that they seem to make some sort of fix for this problem on every other year except mine (95).

I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had the worn shaft problem or whatever, since he's telling me it's so common.

rear main...?? that musta cost some $$$

Yea, that's why I was so ticked off when it came back to me STILL leaking. The guys who change my oil said "You know your rear main seal's leaking like mad" and I'm like "NO! I JUST HAD IT REPLACED!".

grr...