E-brake doesnt work

95pathyoffroad

adjust it...theres a turn buckle on the underside...follow the cables back to where they join into one and you'll find it...just PB it up B4 trying to tighten it...

I think you could also check the drums to make sure the shoes are set properly...

Geaux Tigers :jig:

Edited by unccpathfinder

adjust it...theres a turn buckle on the underside...follow the cables back to where they join into one and you'll find it...just PB it up B4 trying to tighten it...

I think you could also check the drums to make sure the shoes are set properly...

Geaux Tigers :jig:

I have the same problem. My e-brake feels like it's not attached. What tools do I need to fix this? (What does PB it mean in the quote above?)

I have the same problem. My e-brake feels like it's not attached. What tools do I need to fix this? (What does PB it mean in the quote above?)

PB = PBlaster = A brand of Penetrating Lubricant to loosen rusted parts.....No Pathfinder owner should be without it.....Shake can, spray can, remove bolt.

As mentioned above, you will have to adjust your rear brakes and E-brake cables for it to start working. Most people never use their E-brake, they just put the vehicle in park or in gear(M/T), causing the cables to get stuck inside their protective sheath over time. You will have to work the cables back loose again as well as adjustments as stated. (sometimes easy, sometimes not so easy)

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Just re done mine!

I use the handbrake (e brake for you guys) all the time with M/T.

The rear cables were !@#!@$#.

The rear right cable was broken inside the sheath.

The rear left cable was seized inside the sheath as well.

Nissan want a fortune to replace them new.

If they are broken find someone who makes cables etc. and get them to make you up a new one.

If that fails there is a bloke in Woollongong in NSW, Australia that will make them up for you for a better price.

reply if you want his details and I can find them and put them up here for you.

He can get all the original Nissan sheaths and so on so you get a new bit of cable altogether.

He also likes you to send the original so he can be sure to get it right - word of warning - get him to send all the original parts back as well. I didn't get the elbow joiner back but he swore he sent it.

The cables are good and work fine and about 25% cheaper than Nissan with very quick turn around.

N.B. - I have no affiliation with him and am actually still a bit pissed off I didn't get the elbow back. Good work on the rest though.

Darren

in the US you can get replacement cables at NAPA and a few others... last time i checked they were way cheaper then at the stealer's but not all that cheap.. $60-70 for the rear ones.. somewhere around $100 for the front piece. there are 3 pieces in total.

as someone said above, check the drums and the adjustments there.. then readjust the tension on the cable where it splits halfway back underneath the truck. it seems to me though that if you start to have to readjust the tension then your cables are going and it won't be long before you'll need to replace them. all you need is basic set of metric wrenches for this job (the adjustment) and it's pretty easy. if you mess with the drums, do one at a time so you have one correct for reference.

good luck and keep us up to date.

Hm... my e-brake works, but not very well...

Tis a 1990 Pathy though... the manual says it has auto adjusting e-brakes, but after following it's instructions I feel almost no change.

Any suggestions?

Well, thing is, I live in an appartment complex and people let their dogs @!*% just about anywhere :(

Naw, real reason is simple - if I'm going to have to get under the truck, i'd rather simply lift it up so i can do the undercoat replacement while I'm there. That and I can get a better look at what's going on.

you dont have to lift it up to undercoat it either...if your using rattle canned rubber coating like I did put on some jeans...a long sleeve shirt some gloves and cover your head and put on some safety glasses roll up under it and get it all cleaned up and go to town...