Sources for aftermarket body parts etc

madkiwi

Mr Pickles.

Please note that I (and the DoT) refer to overhead FREEWAY signs. If you have overhead signs on secondary country roads I would say you are in some other country. How often do you see these? How often have you seen them not self-lit?

E-code lighting throws a beam up and to the right to illuminate the shoulder and signs on the side of the road (isn't that where you see signs on country roads?). It cuts off light above a certain point in the middle and left. This applies to low beam only, on high beam lighting while concentrated forward, does illuminate upwards as well.

DoT testing involves shining a light on a wall and demanding a certain percentage of DIRECT lighting goes up. They do not take into account any reflected lighting from the ground, but the experience in Europe is that the reflected lighting is more than adequate to illuminate reflectorized overhead signage.

Listen, I'm not here to rehash the arguments or convince you to change your life. I couldn't care less. If you are happy, great. If you want to understand the differences, try Googling "e-code headlight". I'm here to look for body parts suppliers, and I decided to encourage others to look into the situation. Not my job to make a convert.

jdub,

The 1990-1992 grille looks the same as the 1990-95 Pathfinder one. The picture you are looking at is the restyled 1993-1997 Hardbody version.

madkiwi

Very passionate.

Mr Pickles,

I'm sorry if I sound like I went off. :furious:

I get annoyed quickly if I think people don't listen to (read) what I am saying (writing) and then ask about something I thought I had clearly stated already. The wife gets annoyed back when I do it to her too.

One other point I should make- motorcycles sold here use E-code headlights, that's fine with the US DoT. It is only cars that are stuck with an inferior technology.

Some articles for your perusal

Fourwheeler.com

Opinion

Audi upgrade page

Looked on AC first for the parts I need, nothing doing.

Sorry for being obnoxious.

madkiwi

Mr Pickles.

Please note that I (and the DoT) refer to overhead FREEWAY signs. If you have overhead signs on secondary country roads I would say you are in some other country. How often do you see these? How often have you seen them not self-lit?

just try going up to NH, VT or Maine and NONE of the overhead Freeway signs are lit up on 95, 93, 89 91 etc...

duh - why do you think the DOT wants some light up there...

squam1

but the experience in Europe is that the reflected lighting is more than adequate to illuminate reflectorized overhead signage.

DoT labratory testing eliminates and ignores light reflected from the road surface. European testing takes real world conditions into account.

As a furriner I can tell you: E-code lights are better in rain and fog (less light reflected back to the driver) better for oncoming drivers (light is blocked from shining above a certain point) better for road illumination, better for seeing people, animals and signs on the side of the road.

euro-dot.jpg

Note the difference (e-code on the left). Light is more spread out, more on the ground etc. Don't know why I have to keep repeating this. The DOT standards are used in only North America. If our lights are so superior, why does every other country use something else? ***EDITED***

Let's change that to "US lighting was designed by a committee composed of bureaucrats" at a time when regular filament bulbs were the tried and true, and halogen was treated with great suspicion. Don't want to get political- really. ;)

madkiwi

Come on, Kiwi. Don't start crap just cause you like E-spec lights. You made your point, very good speeches, very good presentation, now please let it go. Making broad statements about the US's actions in general like that is just asking for a flaming and you know it.

Shush! ;)