Need some ignition help and recs

BLouisGod

My distributor is making an almost metal to metal noise and has a slight vibration when I put my hand on it. Its not overly loud, but i have noticed that accerlating with constant gas pedal pressure, the truck lurks up through the rpm range - Do I just need a cap for it? My other cars have had direct ignition so Im kinda new to old school ignitions :blush02:

Since Im working on that, I may as well ATTEMPT to change the wires and plugs. I referenced the aftermarket part list in general forum, and where does a performance coil go? Should I get one? I may steer clear of an ignition box ( alittle to pricey for the pathy).

TY fellas

They do make after market coils that are similar to the coil on our pathys(higher amps of course) that can be placed in the original location(one comes to mind made by ACCEL). I agree with you as you say the boxes are way too pricey! Most ignition wires are 7mm and some are 8mm. Im not sure whats on the pathy,probably 7mm. I would definitely get bigger wires if you do get the after market coil (at least 8mm or bigger). Anything smaller than that would be a waste to a higher coil. As far as the distributor noise, I would pop the cap off a have a look. You may have a rotor button going bad or the dust shield in there may have popped up and hitting on the rotor. :shrug: Check that out first and see what you find!!

Good luck!

Pop the cap off and remove the rotor. Then removed the cover plate and look down inside of the distributor and look for metal shavings. I have seen this many times and even did it on mine. But, the vibration you feel may be coming from the timing belt. Loose belt can create vibration.

Pop the cap off and remove the rotor. Then removed the cover plate and look down inside of the distributor and look for metal shavings. I have seen this many times and even did it on mine. But, the vibration you feel may be coming from the timing belt. Loose belt can create vibration.

Your going to make me go and look now.....