NEW CLUTCH ?

drifter

Doing a trans 5spd rebuild w/ clutch, 94 4x4 path thorley headers , 2.5 exhaust , 32x11.50 15x8, should i stick with buying a stock clutch and save the cash or should i get in to a center force clutch $329 or dual friction clutch $389 ??? I want the best of both world street and trails, rocks etc..

stay stock. i got mini me's clutch 2 yrs ago for $178 from kragens, and it's been fine. had my flywheel resurfaced when i did the new clutch too. :aok:

DEFINITLY get the flywheel resurfaced. There are no shortcuts to that.

I'd go stock too since you aren't building a dragster or race car.

ummm going hd 'clutch' usually means a kit with new clutch plate, hd pressure plate & new throw out bearing. hd pressure plates always have more clamping force than stock. i wouldnt bother changing a clutch unless i was putting a hd unit in. if anything its more advantage in a 4wd as anyone who actually wheels would know the less the clutch is involved the better. ie hd pressure plate = less slip between motor & trans = driver 'feeling' in better control of car.

i put hd unit in my patrol & would do it again in a second, fact i wouldnt even consider a stock unit.

Never had my stock clutch slip, and I used a stock clutch and pressure plate from a Pathy in my 91 300zx without a slip.

(sw, your running 4.2 liters, we run 3.0; bit o' torque difference and our toilets flush in opposite directions)

I would put the money into other upgrades (IMHO) people say the pathy is underpowerered; so I wouldn't worry about clutch slip.

Mike