1992 Pathfinder troubles

Guest toolfool

Guest toolfool

Hi all! This is my first posting and after reading the insightful comments posted on this sight, I look forward to returning often!

I have a 1992 Pathfinder, purchased just 5 months ago. Recently the power windows and power locks stopped working. The dealer says it may be the master switch but I haven't been able to find anything in a manual to tell me what that is, where it is and how difficult it may be to replace it. Note that the dealer has not looked at the truck but offered the master switch as a possible and likely source of the problem. Unfortunately, the passenger side window is down, so I'd like to get this corrected ASAP. I am recently unemployed due to lay off and resources are limited. I don't want to take it to the dealer unless it's absolutely necessary! Any suggestions, advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, the moniker toolfool is a bit of sarcasm, as I am not an experienced or knowledgable mechanic...by any stretch of the imagination!

Thanks

TF :help:

Alrighty, this might sound stupid, but make sure that the wires that plug into the connectors in the door switches themselves are connected securely [does that make sense?]. Pull up the little black plastic thing that has the power window rocker switch in it and make sure its still plugged in. If one of the connectors isn't plugged in, it causes all the other power windows to not function, I've found.

The master switch would generally just mean the one on the driver's door that controls all the windows and locks. It could have come unplugged or something simple. Mine wasn't fully secure on the driver's side after a wreck, the body shop didn't fully seat it. I had no power at all there, but it was a quick fix. But if the window won't work from either switch, then I guess there may be bigger issues here.

Guest toolfool

It worked!!! Took about a minute!!! Thanks a bunch....I'm in Baltimore and that would have been atleast a $75 repair bill...

Thanks again guys! :clap:

TF

No problem, glad it was something easy to fix. =) The clip on my passenger side one is broken and every now and then it slides out just enough to disable all the other power windows. =(

• 5 weeks later...