Post Muffler Broke Off

Nissan3

hey everyone, heard a rattle under my 03 pathy, found that the post muffler has seperated from the main muffler where it clamps to it. Anyone know if I can just take it to an exhaust shop to be fixed or do I have to replace the post muffler.

Thanks.

Same thing happened to my 02's while in the mountains and I ended up saw-zalling it off right before where it goes over the axle...that was about 7 months ago and I have no plans of putting another back on again. The exhausts on R50's are pathetic!

Same thing happened to my 02's while in the mountains and I ended up saw-zalling it off right before where it goes over the axle...that was about 7 months ago and I have no plans of putting another back on again. The exhausts on R50's are pathetic!

Ya, I was just gonna rip the whole thing off. So, navygz19, you just ended up cutting a section of the pipe off and leaving the rest?

thanks

Yes, the weld in the pipe right before it got to the muffler in front of the rear axle had completely split, so the rear part of the exhaust (from there back) was just dangling by the hangers, so I cut it off at that point. Now my exhaust ends right AFTER the muffler, before the axle. I made the cut with the sawz-all angled downward as well so as to guide hot exhaust gasses away from the underside of the truck...that's important to remember. I have no intentions of putting anouther one on there that exits out the back because I'm sure I'll catch it on a ledge on the next wheeling trip I go on!

Mine has recently broken off at that same spot, dangling from the hangars. I just removed it and it's been riding in the back since... I'd rather not spend anything to get it fixed, would the exhaust exiting under the vehicle promote rust/corrosion?

It might, thats why I did't take any chances. But If you cut the pipe so it's angled like navygz19 did you should be ok

Yes, you need to make sure it's not pointing up into the underside of the truck (that's a fire hazard) or even directly at the exle or any components. If it's not any sort of angled, just go at it and make sure it is...better to be far than sorry.

Ditto on that spot. The rust on the connecting bracket flaked away like a pastry. I had mine off for a while and people could not even hear a difference. I thought it sound a bit thoatier, but maybe it was just me. You don't need the post muffler for inspections?

Ditto on that spot. The rust on the connecting bracket flaked away like a pastry. I had mine off for a while and people could not even hear a difference. I thought it sound a bit thoatier, but maybe it was just me. You don't need the post muffler for inspections?

Same, when mine feel off I thought it sounded a bit throatier. You do need the post muffler for inspections though, cause they won't have any where to stick the emissions probe in the tailpipe, and they ain't gonna crawl under the truck to put it in the main mufflers pipe. But I guess it also depends on where you live. some places are more strict on emissions then others.

Just curious, how's it sound without any pipe? I always wondered how the 3.3's sound with a muffler, be it a flowmaster or magnaflow. :shrug:

It doesn't sound much different at all because there's still such a huge honking muffler attatched, just a little deeper that's all.

Hey Guys! This topic is soo on tmie in the life of my new (to me) '02. I just paid out of my nose to get a Magnaflow 22" body dual in dual out muffler installed with 2.25" pipe from the front resonators back.....drove about 25 miles.......it sucks!!! I lost torque--bad! I do believe that in higher RPM's she breaths better but for me it was not worth the tire skirtting low end. I am having a friend help me re-install my stock stuff tonight and since the muffler was clamped on...I am going to try to return the muffler..wish me luck!

*************Anyone interested in a phatty large Magnaflow 2.5" dI/dO Tru-X design muffler please let me know---it will be quite a deal and with will have less than 40 miles on it!! No weld marks or hangers attached!!*************************************************************************************************************

My next plan after the, return/sale is to get my 2nd resonator removed and 1 2.5" pipe ran out of the back with a nice tip. (period for the exhaust!)

The real pain of the entire deal is, that the shop did a horrible job bending the duals out (they bang into the bump stop and the floor of the rig), welds are pretty sloppy looking, and the knocked my Nissan the whole time it was in the air---go figure the owner just bought an '06 Ford Crewcab diesel and his boy drives a 95 Blazer---I want to go back and challenge his boy to a tow off, then a race, then mark when the Blazer blows up due to that intake pre-injector that will leak, fail, water down the oil and seize his main bearings at 100K...while the Path will push 200K without catestrophic failure....phunk those guys.

Edited by 98silverpathy

The real pain of the entire deal is, that the shop did a horrible job bending the duals out (they bang into the bump stop and the floor of the rig), welds are pretty sloppy looking, and the knocked my Nissan the whole time it was in the air---go figure the owner just bought an '06 Ford Crewcab diesel and his boy drives a 95 Blazer---I want to go back and challenge his boy to a tow off, then a race, then mark when the Blazer blows up due to that intake pre-injector that will leak, fail, water down the oil and seize his main bearings at 100K...while the Path will push 200K without catestrophic failure....phunk those guys.

Damn right. Its all about the pathys.

Got my OEM muffler back on without the rear resonator...let me tell you--it is soo nice having my rig back to normal! Maybe a 2 in 1 out would have worked, but I am satisfied with what I have now! No resonator gave maybe a tiny tiny bit more throat w/no raspiness. The resonator only had like 12 holes perforated in it, so it really does nothing anyway! I am now spraying my tail pipe black and may put a tip on (or may not!). Hooray for OEM power again!