AT hardshift

Guest toobiloo

Guest toobiloo

I just got a 1990 XE Pathfinder w/ automatic transmission. Everthing works fine with it except that it shift hard between 1st and 2nd gear. That is if I'm at a full stop I rev it up and go, and the shift from 1st to 2nd is more like a clunk than the nice smooth shifting like between the other gears (2nd to 3rd, etc.). I can predict it and let off the gas and it will shift more smoothly b/t 1st and 2nd or if I really rev the engine it will shift smoothly, but at "normal" rpm it is sudden clunk. Any ideas or were I should look for info? I got my car with no manual at all, is there a good book (i.e. chilton or hayes) for these trucks?

Also I've read here that a after market AT cooler would be a good idea, where do I find a good one that will work with my Pathfinder?

A Chilton's manual helps, otherwise I already posted automatic transmission testing procedures in the Garage forum.

after market AT cooler would be a good idea, where do I find a good one that will work with my Pathfinder?

I'd suggest an auto parts store, man. ;)

Also I've read here that a after market AT cooler would be a good idea, where do I find a good one that will work with my Pathfinder?

Like 88path says, there are some "generic" one-size-fits types at auto parts stores for pretty cheap. Good insurance to have for sure.

A good hard, fast shift is good, its the slow smooth slippy gentle shifts that you want to be wary of.

That hard shift tells me your clutch pack is probably in good condition, not burnt and slipping.

On saying that, my trans has done 2000kms since i had it rebuilt and im not happy that the first to second shift is quick enough, im sure it is slipping.

The guy who rebuilt it said it should sort its self out but i reckon its getting worse. Gonne give them a call i think.

Any way, back to you, i really wouldn't use any sleep over it at this stage, just keep monitoring it, especially the smooth shifts, if they get slower, then start worrying.

Pete.

Sorry, i have a correction to make to that last post, i did some investigating and it turns out that the first to second shift has a band instead of a clutch, and when this band starts flaking the shift can become jerky. At least a band can be adjusted not like a clutch, so perhaps it might be good to get it looked at after all!!!

Pete.

Guest toobiloo

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll add an aux cooler and get the tranny flushed out and checked out. Now to find a trustworthy a/t mechanic.....