Stripped Spindle Threads

taro

Well, instead of tapping in the outer bearing a bit, I tried to seat the outer bearing of a front wheel with the locknut. What I got for my stupidity was about a millimeter's worth of stripped threads (thread?). Anyway, I have plenty of good thread on the spindle, I just can't get to it. Does anyone have any tips on how to handle this? Thanks, Taro

Try completely removing the rotor, hub, and bearings to expose the bare spindle. If the threads on the bearing locknut aren't stripped (or if the other side of the locknut is still OK), you might be able to screw it on to help clean up the damaged threads.

If that doesn't work, try using a dremel tool to carefully recut the threads enough to get the locknut on.

If neither of those approaches works, you may unfortunately need to replace the spindle. You can probably find a used one from a wrecked Pathy at your local junkyard. Since the bearing locknut is basically what holds your wheel on, you really don't want it to take chances with it if the locknut cannot be securely fastened due to damaged threads.

Edited by XPLORx4

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to see what I can salvage. The locknut is fine as far as I can tell and I've got plenty of good thread on the spindle, but the locknut just does not want to go any further than the first little bit. What's weird is that it won't spin at all past a certain point and that's with the tool. Maybe I've got too much grease on the threads?

PS--Is the tapered side of the lock ring supposed to be on the outside of the hub? That's what I've been assuming. I forgot to look on the other side before I took it off even though I told myself to. :crossedwires:

it won't spin at all past a certain point and that's with the tool. Maybe I've got too much grease on the threads?

No, it's not from too much grease. You've cross-threaded the spindle. That's why it won't go on further.

Remove everything down to the bare spindle and clean it all off to inspect the threads.

And, sorry, I can't remember which side of the bearing locknut faces outwards.

No, it's not from too much grease. You've cross-threaded the spindle. That's why it won't go on further.

Remove everything down to the bare spindle and clean it all off to inspect the threads.

And, sorry, I can't remember which side of the bearing locknut faces outwards.

Thanks for the info. I'll clean it up tonight and see what I can do. No worries about the locknut orientation.