4wd Indicator Light

DaveS

today i was going down a muddy dirt road and noticed that my indicator light that tells me that im in 4wd drive was not lit up anymore it lit up when i shifted the t case into 4wd but sometime between hitting the dirt and getting back to the pavement it went out and im not sure why my 4wd still seems to work fine but no light which would be nice to have just as a reminder that im in 4wd before i start heading down a paved road with the truck still in 4wd. is this easy to fix or a common problem??? or does fixing it require ripping into the t-case

thx dave

I had a wire break right at the transfer case on the 4x4 switch. It was a PITA to solder back on, but I managed to get it on without having to replace the switch. If the 4x4 works, then it's definately in the wiring along the way.

I had a wire break right at the transfer case on the 4x4 switch. It was a PITA to solder back on, but I managed to get it on without having to replace the switch. If the 4x4 works, then it's definately in the wiring along the way.

im almost positive that it is the wiring but i don't know where it runs or where it could possibly have broken or even where the switch is.

My 4x4 indicator light circuit had a short which would disable the vehicle. The switch was the culprit, and I didn't want to spend $100 on a new one, so I just cut the wire. You can test the circuit with a multimeter to see where the problem is, or you can just leave it and do what I do: look at the stick to figure out if you're in 4wd or not.

im almost positive that it is the wiring but i don't know where it runs or where it could possibly have broken or even where the switch is.

On the 90 it's on the passenger side, mid way up the transfer case and maybe a little towards the front of the transfer case(if memory serves me right). There's not a whole lot of room in between it and the body, but with a flashlight you should be able to see if the wires are broken off the switch.

Mine had broken at the wire and I managed to fix it....but it was a biatch to fix. First off there's not a whole lot of room for a soldering gun in there, secondly it's hard to see with your hands in that small cramped space. If you have lots of perceverance and patience it is possible tho.

if it happens to someone else you can take it to a shop and you can put it on a lift and run it in 4x4 to make sure its in deed working or put it on some pavement in 4H and you will know if 4x4 is working or not...both are not great for the t case but its a quick check before going through a bunch of unneeded work

if it happens to someone else you can take it to a shop and you can put it on a lift and run it in 4x4 to make sure its in deed working or put it on some pavement in 4H and you will know if 4x4 is working or not...both are not great for the t case but its a quick check before going through a bunch of unneeded work

my test was to find some loose dirt (not hard around here) and drop the clutch and see if all 4 tiers were spinning and you will know when you let go of the clutch whether 4x4 is working because it takes a lot of gas to make all 4 spin but not much to burn the 2 in the back.