Pro's And Con's Of Installing Lift

zonianbrat

Ok as the title says I am looking for opinions here is my situation.

I have a 97 R50 XE pretty much stock with 31x10.50 BFG's. I'm a geological consultant and I work on oil rigs out in the boonies. This job requires me to use my own vehicle. So far not a big deal but these rigs are in truly remote locations. And getting to them has already required 4x4 more than once. It also requires quite a bit of highway driving as well depending on where I have to go. I have wanted to put a lift on my truck for a while now but having a child 2 years ago and now another on the way has postponed that. This job looks much more promising as far as me being able to modify my truck. I am not sure whether I would go with the AC 2" or OME lift. The question is with the highway driving would it be worth it to get lift tires etc or would it bu a dumb idea. I already get some crappy gas mileage so that is not a major concern. One thing to think about it during the winter I have been told the trails to get to some of these rigs in the rocky's can be horrible. I already know I will need some chains. So what do you guys think? And which lift would you recommend if I do lift the truck. All your responses are truly appreciated.

I also have the AC lift with no issues...

Although mudders can be good in deep soft snow, AT's with good siping (insert promo for Bridgestone Revos here :tongue:) are much better for ice and hardpack...

I guess my question to you is why do you think you should NOT get the lift?

I agree with Pezzy. I love my AC lift with AT 31's. It seemed the best compromise between off road and on road ability to me. It's still my daily driver, but man, i can't get over the places it'll go now with what I've done. I can't wait till i wear out these BFG AT's though, i love how some of the guys with sub frame lifts look, and by then I'll have a replacement for the daily driver and will be able to dedicate the truck to more fun stuff. As for the strut thud issue, i had it a bit in the beginning, but now that everything has settled, i rarely get that. The only thing else I'd consider, if i was you, is the air lift bags in the back while your doing the lift. I've done that, and when i load up for camping or towing, they really help out. I'm surprised how much I've liked those for the money i spent.

In fact, i can't recall why anyone would go with the OME. I don't think the difference in gas millage is substantial and the costs aren't that different if i remember correctly. I'm sure there's a reason people do, but i don't remember why. And my handling seems as good or better now. Might as well go all the way and get the most lift you can I figured.

Well, let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do want the lift, I just was not sure if it affected highway driving to the extent that I would regret getting it. I have not done any research on air lift bags. I know of a couple people who installed them on their big fords so they could pull real heavy goosneck trailer filled with foundation forms but that is all I know about them. Could somebody explain them to me ina bit of detail? And maybe how they coincide with the lift? Because now that I think about it I am presently toting a bunch of gear and will be carrying more in the future. Please keep the ideas coming!!

I never noticed any issues/differences on the highway when I lifted it... I do quite a bit of highway & city driving to get to work every day.

X2

never had any probs with highway driving, also if you need help installing when you get it let me know

I never noticed any issues/differences on the highway when I lifted it... I do quite a bit of highway & city driving to get to work every day.

Thanks that was my main question and concern. I am going to buy the lift, might be a little bit, hopefully before winter truly hits. But we will see, I do have a baby on the way!! And csutke I could definetly use the help thanks!! I might start buying the parts individually. I was thinking of getting kyb struts up front not sure of the shocks for the back maybe bilsteins, then AC's coils. Do I need anything else?

Air lift bags- They drop inside the rear springs and the included air hose runs through a hole in the bottom of the spring perch. Mine already had the holed, so i didn't even haft to use the included template and drill them. Then i ran the lines to together using the included "t" fitting right at the "T" for the rear brakes. Then i ran the airbag fill hose up to the back side of the fuel filler nozzle, drilled a hole, and mounted the air nipple right next to my gas cap, nice and protected from the elements and any other damage. Anyway, wicked easy to install, everything is included except maybe enough zipties (i'm kinda a ziptie freak) and i love having the option of stiffening up the rear when i load it up. I figured i'd try it, and i've been happily surprised a few times that i did. Just a thought, since your going to be back there anyway installing the lift, and it sounds like for your job you might be carrying a bunch of stuff. Plus it'll probably be wise to carry even more stuff in the way of recovery gear for the coming winter on those roads.

Edited by PDCCD