Please Help! Speedometer Keeps Disconnecting

98SE

Okay, so my speedo quit working about 1,000 miles ago. I crawled underneath and checked the speedo cable at the tranny. The gear is fine and the cable spins. The cable also spins at the other end behind the instrument cluster. The plastic piece with the spring in it that inserts into the speedometer keeps coming off the cable because of the friction from the speedo. The speedo works but it makes a clicking sound with each revolution. This clicking is causing a lot of friction and keeps disconnecting the plastic piece from the cable. Any idea what this is and how I can fix it? I really dont want to have to take apart the speedo to look at it.

The cable has been lubed, it spins freely. Its the speedometer itself that makes the clicking sound and hangs up. I hooked up my drill to the speedo to check it, the odometer and both trip meters all work. But the clicking creates quite a lot of friction on the cable and causes it to pop off. I don't know if I even want to attempt to take apart the speedo or try to find another one from a wrecked pathy.

make sure that the clip on the engine side is in place and pulled tight (the cable runs across the top of the firewall and should be retrained there pretty tightly to keep the cable from moving (binding up from the cable) you could also put a strap or something across the topside where it mates with the dash to keep it from popping up or try to shim it in...

Okay, so I ended up taking out the speedo and taking it apart today. Wow, there are a lot of little parts in this thing, especially with the dual trip meters. I found the culprit. The main plastic gear that runs off the main shaft (the shaft driven by the speedo cable) was slighty warped. With each revolution it would get stuck, skip a gear and make another revolution and so on. This gear is used to run the odometer and trip meters. I had no choice but to remove it. It doesn't really matter to me since the mileage is already off. So now I have a working speedometer again and it works very smoothly, no bouncing around. I will get a donor speedometer to install later, at least now I know how to change the mileage. I'm pretty sure mine is around 181,000. Thanks for your suggestions.