The Pathy Dies

Guest 95PathDN

Guest 95PathDN

I got a check engine light a couple weeks ago (just moved into a new place and just got internet connections today so that's why I haven't posted yet.) I pulled the ECU codes and got 23, 24, 25 (idle switch, throttle sensor) So I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor. I don't have the equipment to check the idle speed, but aligned it as close to stock as I could hear and judge by the RPM gauge. The problem is that didn't help at all.

Oh yeah, guess I ought to mention the problem! It starts perfectly (95 automatic) but occasionally it will die as I slow down to stop signs/lights. Kinda scary because the steering and brakes lock up just like the truck was turned off and parked, but its still moving. So I just start it back up and keep going. But it doesn't do it all the time. It usually happens when its warmed up.

After the TPS didn't work I called a mechanic and he said bring it down and he would test drive it for free. It died 4 times on the way there (twice in his parking lot) and then of course the truck wouldn't die at all for him when he drove it. And it hasn't died in the past two days.

I was thinking fuel pump/filter, spark plugs, vacuum lines? I really don't know. It's like it suffocates, not getting air or fuel right before it dies. As long as I keep gas on it it is fine.

Any ideas? I don't have the money to spend $250 for the mechanic to diagnose it before he even begins work on it. He said about 1.5 hours to diagnose and I said, see you later. Figures the truck wouldn't die for him!

i never worked on my pathys engine yet but i had a crown vickie and had the same problem.. but no codes..

Anyways, the idle control passage in the throttle body was restricted with gunk.. that may be causing the poor idle and stalling.. check it out, or get a can of carb cleaner and spray it in the butterfly, opening and closing it, while running, revving and at idle... fixed it for me

not on MAF sensors and junk, but there arent ( i dont think so anyways.. correct me if im wrong) any more sensors past the butterflies... you want to clean the idle control passage not spray it on the sensors...

anyways if thats your problem, thats an easy solution

Exactly. You can spray the crud out of the TB no problem, just don't spray the MAF down near the aircleaner box. I'd also look for loose or corroded wiring at the distributor, MAF and throttle switch, etc. Unplug them all and check for corrosion inside the connectors. Check the ground for the MAF and the distributor.