Spewing Oil

jgt

I was gonna wait until tomorrow to post, but I'm bored at work now. So this weekend, I took off the exhaust manifold shields to look at the broken stud. I took out the rattling broken end and decided to change the oil also. The manifold shields are 2 piece, and I replaced the top one and left off the bottom one off. Drove 20 miles no problem. The next day, I drive down the road, smell burning oil and look down at my oil pressure gauge, which was reading 0. I stopped before the engine seized, got towed home. I refilled the oil, (was bone dry) double checked the sending unit tightness and started it up again. It barfed oil all over the ground. I figured it was my oil filter. So I put on the old oil filter which was still in the garage, refilled the oil and again it spewed oil all over the ground. I am taking a break now. Could I have done anything wrong by leaving the lower shield off? The sending unit nylon tubing was close, but looked fine. Anyhow, it wouldn't gush oil out anyhow, just squirt. It seems to be coming from under the oil filter, but I'm not certain.

btw, the old gasket was not stuck, I double checked and everything was clean and clear for the new filter.

Do you think it's 'possible' that it's faulty gaskets on the filter? I'm not thinking so, but hoping its a fram thing.

Do you think it's the RMS? And did me messing w/ the manifold area cause this? I'm missing my mechanic friend who helped me on the project. I'm not giving up though! Sorry, probably an obvious diagnosis, I just had to share before heading back to look at my mess tomorrow. thanks - julie

Edited by jgt

hi slick

nothing is a stupid question for me. When I say spewing, I really mean it's gushing out from up top somewhere. Like it'll start up okay, gimme like 20-30 psi reading on the gauge, then blam...oil everywhere on the ground. A least a quart in 10 seconds. It's a mess. I mean, if it's coming from the RMS, why would there be oil spewed up on the filter and above the starter? Like I said, I need to look at it closer. The mess that I made (twice) was a bummer, so I took a day off. So, thanks for the reply, it wasn't the drain plug, it's coming from up. any other guessess?

stupid question, but have you checked to make sure your oil drain plug is in tight enough?

And did me messing w/ the manifold area cause this?

did you crack the housing accidentally on the oil pres sending unit. I had the 1 on my 87 crack where the diaphragm is and it started shooting oil everywhere...I think on 1 of my tear downs there is a series of bolts/studs that goes into an oil jacket that isnt 1 of the exhaust studs is it?

The sending unit nylon tubing was close

I'd change that to copper asap...my buddies chevy blew out 2 of those nylon hoses and it'll dump a good bit of oil at the PSI its running but I would think that would be obvious if this was the problem

thanks for the replies, i'll replace the sending unit along with the new filter tomorrow. I had no idea it would gush out that severely though. Also, casey, what is the brass plug you are talking about?

-julie

Oil on the starter and the filter would suggest the Oil Sending Unit..... when it blows its a big mess, fast...

The only other things I can think of would be:

The brass plug (dipstick location on passenger side)

Our VG's had multiple uses... most common would have been a Pre 92 Maxima and some of the Zcars... On the Max the motor sits sideways and the dipstick is on the front of the motor, on ours the Passenger side... its a little 1/4 sized plug that was used to "Plug" the hole when the hole was not being used for the dipstick... If you have a swapped motor or were in the oil pan area it could have come loose.... I just went out and looked at the block I have in the garage... Its just in front of the oil filter at the base of the block where the pan meets it... Slim chance, but a possibility...

I remember you doing some serious engine work... Dont remember if it was just top end stuff or if you did a swap... hence the brass plug.

yes the motor was from a 2wd 94 hardbody. Gary may have plugged up a hole while he was working on the motor. Wait, I think that was cuz the '94 was auto transmission, I have a 5 spd. Anyhow, I will check that brass plug also. Big mahalos for the replies everybody, I'll keep y'all updated. -j

Our VG's had multiple uses... most common would have been a Pre 92 Maxima and some of the Zcars... On the Max the motor sits sideways and the dipstick is on the front of the motor, on ours the Passenger side... its a little 1/4 sized plug that was used to "Plug" the hole when the hole was not being used for the dipstick... If you have a swapped motor or were in the oil pan area it could have come loose.... I just went out and looked at the block I have in the garage... Its just in front of the oil filter at the base of the block where the pan meets it... Slim chance, but a possibility...

I remember you doing some serious engine work... Dont remember if it was just top end stuff or if you did a swap... hence the brass plug.

ahhh, out of a Hardbody and not a Max, there may not be a plug, Did you swap oil pans??? the only things on that side of the motor are the Oil Sending Unit Known for blowing out, the Oil Filter, dual seals, and holes in the filter have been noted but cracking the mounting surface, thats not an easy thing to do.

You should hang out with us more :hide:

Edited by Casey.T

She's up and running and not barfing oil. Replaced the cracked nylon hose w/ a VDO copper one and new fittings. I think UNCC was right about the cracked housing. There was a tiny hole in the nylon tubing that I found also. Anyhow that did the trick, must have been a combination of both to cause such a big leak. The guy at napa said he like nylon ones better (with some kind of insulation) because the copper ones cracked. Can't win huh?? :tongue: I didn't put any teflon on the threads, hope it'll be okay. No leaks on my 5 minute test. What's your guys's psi during idle? It seems a little lower than I remember, but maybe I'm just paranoid now. The manual says 9 psi at idle and 53-65 at 3200 rpms. Anyhoo, another lesson learn for the newbie. Thanks crew! - julie

ahhh, out of a Hardbody and not a Max, there may not be a plug, Did you swap oil pans??? the only things on that side of the motor are the Oil Sending Unit Known for blowing out, the Oil Filter, dual seals, and holes in the filter have been noted but cracking the mounting surface, thats not an easy thing to do.

You should hang out with us more :hide:

Edited by jgt

I'm just paranoid now. The manual says 9 psi at idle and 53-65 at 3200 rpms. Anyhoo, another lesson learn for the newbie.
But you can Read :fireworx:

Just keep an eye on it, watch for oil spots in the morning, check it when checking the oil when you fill up the tank....

I will also recommend cleaning up the oil that is no all over the Starter....