Has anyone had this problem?

red-finder

I have had a problem twice this week with the shift lock on my automatic transmission. Those times I could work with the shifter for a few minutes and it would start. This morning it did it again and it would not start. I could not get the shift lock to disengage. I tried to get out and rock it to get it to release, but no luck.

If I turn the key on I can move the shifter thru the gears, but when you put it in park to start it, it still won't start. The hayes book says there is an actuator or plug on the 95 model, but I can't understand how to fix it :angry:

Has anybody else had this problem or know about it? Is there any way to bypass the shift lock? :help:

My shift lock on my 94 was pretty much mechanical. Take off the center cover console over the a/t shifter and look around the t bar(the thing that moves when you push the shift button) and you should be able to located the lockup. After you see it you can decide what you want to do but i removed the plastic lockup catch completely. :dance:

Thanks for the info. I got the shift lock taken care of I just glued the plastic lockup as far up the cable as possible and fixed that. Then this weekend I changed the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. It was running great Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday afternoon it sounded like it was starting pretty sluggish so I took the battery cables off and cleaned the terminals and the cables. When I connected them back it would not start. By then it was about 9:00 at night :angry:

I pretty much figured by then when the lights still worked and everything electrical worked that my starter was gone. I didn't have time to fix it so I had it towed to a mechanic and picked it up today $200 later she's back on the road :clap: