Will A Knock Sensor Code Pass Emmisions?

lunchindabox

Hey all,

I just got a 98 SE and I had a few codes. I had an o2 code, an evap code and a knock sensor code.

The truck sat for 6 months before I purchased it so I just re-set the codes and have not driven enough to figure which ones will come back. I don't have tags yet.

No CEL yet, I did however scan again to see if it was "ready" for emmisions and I still have a few items that are readin as "imcomplete" meaning the ECY has not sensed it enough to draw an conclusion if it is good or bad, so I know it will not pass emmisions until all but 2 of these are ready.

BUT in the mean time, i still get a P0325 on my ODBII and no CEL.

Will I pass emmisions if I just wait for all but 2 indicators to be ready? Or will the Knock Sensor code show up in the emmsiiosns even though I don't get a CEL?

(I did this with a ranger last week and it worked great, but as soon as I pulled out of the station, CEL!) all about the timing.

I read somewhere on the forum that it "should not" effect the emmsions, but need some confirmation please.

Thanks!

Some of the 3.3's have the Knock sensor code almost all the time. I know a lot of Xterra owners have that issue. It does not affect emissions, as long as the CEL isn't on.

You guys without emmisions are some lucky SOB's.

I think I will drive it until I get enough ready codes and try it.

BUT since I am getting a timing belt and waterpump...should I just go ahead and get this done too? I already bought the part for 70 bucks from FCP Groton...and I am guessing some of the labor will be overlaping...

You guys without emmisions are some lucky SOB's.

I think I will drive it until I get enough ready codes and try it.

BUT since I am getting a timing belt and waterpump...should I just go ahead and get this done too? I already bought the part for 70 bucks from FCP Groton...and I am guessing some of the labor will be overlaping...

firstly, if you live in california, you are only allowed one monitor to not be ready. second, you will fail the test if you have ANY code in the computer, including transmission codes. third, you have to remove the lower intake manifold to even access the place where the knock sensor is. The most common failure is the knock sensor sub-harness, it is available at the dealer for a reasonable price. It is industry standard to replace the knock sensor also.

I am in Va and 96-98 can pass with 2 codes not ready, anything newer and you need all but 1 code to be ready.

I said F it and dropped her off at the shop for a timing belt, waterpump, and KS.

Total parts=165 (my own purchase)

total labor=500 (ouch)

Total Cash= $665

I guess it is not a bad deal...Still may need an o2 sensor.

On another note, maybe I can get him to knock the bumper re-inforcement straight for me or use some sort of "come-along" or winch to fix it and then all I will need is a bumper cover and one corner peice...

Wish mu luck. I will keep you posted.