I Can't Find The " Big Blue Relay"..

tbone

I have a 95 Pathy. I'm wondering if they made a production change as this is what i see...I'm trying to deal with the "sometimes it won't start" issue

Thanks,

Troy

190083015-M.jpg

190082832-M.jpg

Edited by tbone

In your picture, it's the one screwed to the inside fender all by itself on the far left.

I've been fighting the same problem on my 87 for quite a while and I think I just fixed it. On the back of the ignition lock there is a switch cap with five wires soldered to it. When you turn the key the top two should make contact an carry the 12v out to the starter solenoid. I turned it on and off a bunch until I got the "no-start" problem again. I held the key in the start position and measured the voltage across the contacts. Ends up I was only getting about 9.2v to the solenoid. I'm thinking that's not enough to make it pull, so the starter wouldn't come on.

I took the switch cap and harness off and sprayed some PB Blaster (WD-40 would prolly work too) into the switch where there's a gap, then turned it back and forth a lot with a screwdriver to clean the contacts inside the switch. I've tested it 20 or so times and it's started every time so far.

I was going to wait until after I drove it a bunch this weekend to report it as fixed, but I thought you might like to know there could be a different cause for your problem.

In your picture, it's the one screwed to the inside fender all by itself on the far left.

I've been fighting the same problem on my 87 for quite a while and I think I just fixed it. On the back of the ignition lock there is a switch cap with five wires soldered to it. When you turn the key the top two should make contact an carry the 12v out to the starter solenoid. I turned it on and off a bunch until I got the "no-start" problem again. I held the key in the start position and measured the voltage across the contacts. Ends up I was only getting about 9.2v to the solenoid. I'm thinking that's not enough to make it pull, so the starter wouldn't come on.

I took the switch cap and harness off and sprayed some PB Blaster (WD-40 would prolly work too) into the switch where there's a gap, then turned it back and forth a lot with a screwdriver to clean the contacts inside the switch. I've tested it 20 or so times and it's started every time so far.

I was going to wait until after I drove it a bunch this weekend to report it as fixed, but I thought you might like to know there could be a different cause for your problem.

Thanks for the reply !!! My "big blue" is actaually a "small blue" it sems.... :itsallgood:

I'm going to dive into my ignition switch tomorrow....Thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys...It only has 83,000 miles on it. Bought from an older guy in sunny Florida, so no rust and i swear the paint on the frame still shines.. ( had to rub that is a little..ha!)

The damn starting issue is still so intermitten that i can't troubleshoot it yet..I'll wait till the bitch flat out refuses and then I'll go from there. thanks for all the responses !