Trailer Hitch Wiring Install

lyzic

I know that there is a thread already in the how to section How - To but it is for a 87-95 PF's and I have a 2000.

The wiring harness will work the same.

I am just wondering if anyone with a R50 has installed a harness themselves, and where did you tie in to your stock harness, and what wires are what.

I want to find out if there's any easier place to tie in to the stock than ripping the interior side panels off cuz that's a pain in the ass to do.

Cheers!

I just picked up a Pathfinder-specific harness for my '97... It plugs right into the existing taillight wiring harness so you know you get a good connection and nothing is wired backwards. Figured it was well worth the $30, as opposed to $18 or whatever a generic one goes for. Anyhow, the instructions for it don't mention taking off the interior panels. They say to pull the taillights off and plug into those, then there's supposedly "wiring access hole grommets" underneath the truck to get the wires out to the underside of the truck.

Don't know if that helps anything or not.. The instructions are kind of vague, but I'm thinking it will all be self explanatory when I get underneath the truck and have a look!

yeah i know that thread, i posted it too...

i've now got the wiring harness....but i was asking about where people tied in, other than just plugging into the stock harness.

next step is just to tear the side panels off and go to it, just a pain to take off all that plastic

yeah i know that thread, i posted it too...

i've now got the wiring harness....but i was asking about where people tied in, other than just plugging into the stock harness.

next step is just to tear the side panels off and go to it, just a pain to take off all that plastic

It was not that bad, the side panels do not need to come off completely.

And I never did find a way to get the harness out of the body, I just let it hang out the bottom of the gate when I use it. Wonder how the stock harness is done :shrug:

Hi there,

Did it on the 01 Q' 2 months ago. Its really easy, the pannels pop right off all you have to watch is the 12v socket on the rear pass side if you have one (disconnect first.) Other than that the harness (from Hidden Hitch) plugs in on both sides into the tail light plugs. The HH harness goes on with the control box on the drivers side and wires feed across trunk bed to the control box on the other side.... this sux alot because of the space taken up by the rear wiper controler and I have handy storage on the pass side. So... I plugged it in backwards and velcroed the control box to the frame behind the storage and snipped the reversed blinker wires (Yellow and brown I think...) and crossed them over also with this the wire feeds sorta well into the the box (ie. nooo grinding needed). Now the wire is neatly tucked away 'till I need it.

My 2c's

Markus