Need Help Deregistering Gun

solid snake

So I'm trying to sell my gun that is registered under my name, cuz I'm trying to help my folks get out of a bind, but I need to deregister the gun first before I can. I don't want this to come back and bite me in the ass in the future. Does any one here know the legalities or any tips that they may share?

umm, hehe...

No matter what you do, if you purchased it new or from a licensed dealer, the SN will always come back to you... If you sell it to a licensed dealer or through a licensed dealer they will transfer the ownership... but your name will stay with it FOREVER....

What are you selling???

umm, hehe...

No matter what you do, if you purchased it new or from a licensed dealer, the SN will always come back to you... If you sell it to a licensed dealer or through a licensed dealer they will transfer the ownership... but your name will stay with it FOREVER....

What are you selling???

Nothing special a STAR 9 millimeter, semi automatic.

Nothing special a STAR 9 millimeter, semi automatic.

Aside from the Federal form 4473, Arizona has no gun registration. And there's no way to change the 4473 to reflect otherwise.

You could do a notarized bill of sale, of course - but if you bought the gun from a dealer, that 4473 is going to be forever attached to your name as last known owner.

Aside from the Federal form 4473, Arizona has no gun registration. And there's no way to change the 4473 to reflect otherwise.

You could do a notarized bill of sale, of course - but if you bought the gun from a dealer, that 4473 is going to be forever attached to your name as last known owner.

Damit! Oh well I guess I can kill a few people and then sell it right a way. :tonguefinger:

Damit! Oh well I guess I can kill a few people and then sell it right a way. :tonguefinger:

Well, there actually is one other way. You can sell it to or through a dealer - that will generate another 4473 for the next buyer. Your name is still attached to it as an owner, but the next owner will then be on record.

So I'm trying to sell my gun that is registered under my name, cuz I'm trying to help my folks get out of a bind, but I need to deregister the gun first before I can. I don't want this to come back and bite me in the ass in the future. Does any one here know the legalities or any tips that they may share?

I've purchased a couple of used firearms, and the seller simply worked up a simple form that described the weapon, with its serial number, and declared the date it was transferred, the name and address of the new owner (me) and had both of us sign it and both of us keep a copy. That way, if I were to misuse said firearm, she had documentation to show she had transferred it. I have no idea how well that would actually work if something were to happen, but it's a thought.

It's no surprise to anyone in government or Law Enforcement that secondhand gun sales are common. Oregon even passed a law requiring instant background checks for gun sales at gun shows...

there is not legal gun registry in this country, why did you buy from the dealer in the first place?

Cuz I was just planning on keeping it and not selling it down the road. Yeah, now I know that was dumb to do. I should have bought it at a gun show, but there weren't any for a while.