Canoe/kayak Carriers -- Need Some Home-made Suggestions For My Factory Rack

ORE

The factory roof rack on my '98 Pathfinder SE isn't wide enough to carry both kayaks/canoes we have, and I really don't want to spend the money on a Thule or other such system. Can anyone provide some suggestions on how to rig a stable, wider support with the factory rack.

I actually have a pair of Thule bars, and was thinking of just bolting them to the existing cross-pieces. Stupid idea, or do you think it would work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by ORE

it should work if you make the mounts strong enough :shrug:

I made a decent and functional rack system from 2x4's and the appripriate hooks to hold down my boat. Bolted the 2x4's to the existing rack. The boat was around 200lbs and I had no problems. I did tie down the bow to the front bumper to avoid lifting problems while driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I hear you. I have a 96 and the rack isn't wide enough to comfortably carry my 18' Grumman canoe. I mean I can make it work by wrapping the towers in foam and other such nonsense but I hate hassles.

I've seen people use what RWC recommends and it works as long as those boards are secured properly. You need a stable and flat surface so the gunnels rest comfortably. Obviously you're going to tie the craft to tow hooks or chassis or hitch anyway so you don't need anything army rated. This system may not be aesthetically pleasing but who cares...You're gettin out there right!

I actually have a pair of Thule bars, and was thinking of just bolting them to the existing cross-pieces. Stupid idea, or do you think it would work.

not stupid.. that's what they're for anyway.. use them. :)

ties to front and back, in triangular fasion, are must.