Radiator Flush

PATHRIDER

Before doing my body lift the other day I decided to completely flush my radiator. After finishin the lift and filled up all my fluids I decided to take it for a test drive and about 10 mins later it overheated on me..Pulled over at walmarts parking lot and decided to check the rad and carefully opened up the cap and it sure was hot.

Bought a couple of gallon of coolant and filled it back up, I have the motor running while I was filling it up and I noticed that theres white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe and lots of it. I immidiately turned the motor off and waited another 10 mins. Started it back up with the rad topped off of coolant and my temp gauge went back down to half but theres still that white smoke coming out... I decided to just drive it home and that took another 10 mins of driving but halfway home I decided to stop by a gas station to check and see if its still smoking and it wasnt. Could that white smoke just from the engine overheating?

What I did to fluish my rad was

Open the drain plug on the rad

Took off like a 12MM bolt on the engine block on both sides,drivers side just below the alternator and pasenger side just behind the power steering pump

loosened up the pressure release

After all the fluid was drained I thightened the pressure release and the drain plug Filled the radiator back up

Did I do this properly?

Took off like a 12MM bolt on the engine block on both sides,drivers side just below the alternator and pasenger side just behind the power steering pump

Did I do this properly?

Did you replace the 12mm bolt?

A lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust sounds to me your engine is burning gasoline mixed with coolant.

That could be coming from a leaking head gasket. (worse case a crack in the engine block or head)

That way the coolant can leak in to one of the cylinders and burn it and that's giving a lot of white smoke.

Check if u radiator stays on level and check of there is coolant in your engine oil.

But u telling the smoke was gone after checking it later, is it still gone ?

If its not coming back and u car is still running ok and everything looks good

than i don't know what it was.

Edited by Caribbeandude

The 12MM bolt is on and thight.

The smoke went away last night but this morning when I started it back up theres a little coming out still...Ill check the oil...Could it be that I used undiluted coolant? I forgot to mix it 50/50 with water

The 12MM bolt is on and thight.

The smoke went away last night but this morning when I started it back up theres a little coming out still...Ill check the oil...Could it be that I used undiluted coolant? I forgot to mix it 50/50 with water

did you burb the air out of the cooling system after you flushed it? That would cause it to overheat as the water is not circulating properly. If it overheated you may have warped your head/blown a head gasket that would account for the white smoke.

Also Straight coolant on it's own will not protect your truck. It needs to be mixed in order to raise the boiling point and lower the temperature. Straight coolant boils and freeze at a much lower/higher temperatures then mixed coolant does

A 100 percent antifreeze solution will turn to a solid at 9°F (â€â€œ13°C) a mix of 40% antifreeze and 60% water provides freeze-up protection down to -10°F and boil over protection up to 259°F. In comparison, a mix of 70% antifreeze and 30% water provides freeze-up protection down to -62°F and boil over protection up to 270°F Don't go over 70% coolant to water ratio

check your oil for water and your coolant for oil that will tell you if your head gasket is blown, lack of power as well eventually. You can also do a compression check on each cylinder a low compression would reveal a bad head gasket.

Edited by Gotrek

Thanks for the quick reply guys...check the oil and no coolant there....temp stays steady and the coolant is level however my water pump is making some weird noise...Ill replace it today and the TBelt

Driving it last night it drove the same and no lack of power

How do I burp the air out? Im going to flush it again today so I can pull the radiator out to do my TBelt and water pump.

Would a blown head gasket make the engine run rough too coz mine runs just the same after it overheated on me.

What else should I look for besides the water in the oil and white smoke to determine that I have a blown head gasket?

Edited by PATHRIDER

u could do a compression check on each cylinder, low compression would reveal a bad head gasket.

I get the air out by filing up the radiator, don't close the radiator, start the engine and let it get hot so the

thermostat open up and air will come out, fill it up when nesesarry. Keep the engine running and don't close

the radiator maybe some coolant will come out and some air bubbles. After the second opening from the

thermostat my air was gone and closed it and all was good.

Edited by Caribbeandude