Replacing Stripped Bolt On Wheel Hub

PATHRIDER

Hey guys I just did my cv today and to my surprise it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. 5 hours for both sides.

But while I had everything in the drivers side axle halfway torn apart I decided to replace a stripped stud on my wheel hub. Is there any other bolts holding the hub to the rotor? I took out all 6 bolts and I thought that the hub will just come off but I was wrong.

Looking at the haynes manuals exploded view, After removing the hub assembly theres a wheel bearing lock nut that looks like it needs to come out??? Another thing is once i get it out would it be a good time to repack the bearings with high temp grease ?

Thanks fellas

Edited by PATHRIDER

Hello,

I had to do this also. I've stripped a total of 5 at different times so far. I can't figure what i'm doing wrong, so i've stopped using my impact and do them all by hand now. I've also been able to save some with this set:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...L&ihtoken=1

It's allot easier than taking it all apart. Use this thread to get the rotor off, and then tap out the studs from the front. Then re-install and draw the stud in with some cut washers and a lug nut. Here's the thread:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11266

And yep, should get a new bearing gasket and re-pak. Have fun.

i've stopped using my impact and do them all by hand now.

I think you figured out and solved your problem right there! Impact wrenches should never be used for torquing critical fasteners unless properly equiped with a torque limiter. Always install by hand so you can assure they are not cross threaded and that the threads are clean. Once snug, tighten with torque wrench.

I think you figured out and solved your problem right there! Impact wrenches should never be used for torquing critical fasteners unless properly equiped with a torque limiter. Always install by hand so you can assure they are not cross threaded and that the threads are clean. Once snug, tighten with torque wrench.

I understand your point, but in my defense, I've started them all by hand and used a 100# torque stick with my impact previously. The problem seemed to occur only when removing them, only in the last 1/4 of the nut, and only on the front tires. Irregardless, since I've stopped using my impact, the problem has ceased. :shrug: Needless to say, the thread restorer set has been handy for a temporary repair, until I take the whole assembly off again. Probably not till i replace the rotors with those high tech drilled and slotted lol.

Sorry for the thread Jack, your welcome for the help pathrider, good luck. Oh, and if you haven't already, this might be a good time to install some warn manual hubs since your in there. Amazon has them cheapest i could find, and with free shipping.

Got it done...Real simple with the proper wheel bearing lock nut tool.

Luckily I asked you guys first about this coz if I wouldve followed stupid haynes manual I wouldve been screwed on the torque spec.

Thanks again guys..