Prado

FUELER

• 1 month later...

My busy life lately has killed my being up to date on the prado's but I just read this whole discussion and I am looking for some help.

I apologize if there is any bad forum etiquette feel free to let me know what I am doing wrong, or if I should have posted this elsewhere because I am minimally on these things. I'm also sorry for my lack of knowledge in the R50 world compared to you guys.

I want to lift my truck! (I call it a truck but I guess its really more of a car) I am willing to lift it ! So whomever can help will be much appreciated.

Nissandoms and Michigan you seem like you had success with yours? T Morgan we emailed way back and you said you'd sell me yours possibly (curious why you don't want it? Any of you have one for sale or have plans/specs so I can have a kit made? Lets get another unique Pathy to put those Heeps to shame.

So my truck has the AC lift, and warn hubs so thats done. But I'm curious on all the CV talk (joints, bolts, boots?). I did some wikipedia reading on the CV (constant-velocity, theres surprisingly not much up there on it) and I kinda understand. But is this the category in which the "damage" was coming from with the PradoLift?

I am willing and want this done in the next few months, but let me know if you think this is a bad idea for my everyday driver.

I'm far from an expert, but from my understanding, the CVs are the tiny links that drive the front wheels from the front differential when you're in 4x4. When you're not in 4x4, they still rotate with the front wheels unless you've installed manual hubs, which prevent the premature wear of the CVs. If you look under your unlifted truck, they should be pretty much straight from the differential to the front wheels. When you've got a suspension lift installed, the CVs are at an angle, facing down somewhat. When strut spacers are installed, they make this angle even more significant, and its easier to break the CVs when you fully extend your suspension. The more lift, the more the angle, the easier it is to cause damage.

Yeah i still need to get a 1 inch spacer machined so i can put those between the diff and cv to allow the extra travel without breaking the inner joint every time. I snapped autozone cvs left and right, then said to hell with it and bought a used stock nissan one, havent broken that one yet.. Weird i think..