Couple Of Questions

grie78

first, what's the difference between synthetic and regular motor oil? if it was worth it, and I wanted to switch from one to the other, how do I go about it?

second, (provided the pictures show up) what is the part name for theses covers on a 4wd truck? where can I go to get new ones? as you can see, mine are perforated from rust, and are leaking my wheel bearing grease.DSCN3339.jpg this is the pass. side front

DSCN3338.jpg and this is the driver's side.

appreciate the help

Well, synthetic is better, but more expensive. Basically if your engine doesn't burn or leak oil synthetic is the way to go. Otherwise use a blend.

As for your rusted bits, they are your auto-locking hubs,you can clean those up. Seriously, if the rust is the only problem, clean them up. If you REALLY want to replace them, you might look into getting some manual hubs.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a hub rust through like that. Impressive?

Synthetic is better than conventional oil. It lasts longer, lubricates better and doesn't break down as quickly as conventional oil. There's nothing special you need to do to run synthetic, just change the oil and use the good stuff. Oh, and don't use Fram oil filters, there's a reason they only cost $3......Nissan OEM, Wix or NAPA oil filters are best.