Tick

jgt

hi guys/gals-

I have a 92 4x4 manual pathfinder w/ a '94 engine that we installed a few months back. Everything works great still on in, but probably a month later, it developed a tick sound from the engine. How can I tell if it's the lifters or ?? and is there anything I can do to check if it is that? (thicker oil, or ??) I read about seafoam, but kinda scared to use it cuz I'm not leaking oil and everything else is fine. I'm in Hawaii so I think I can run thicker oil. The engine has 85k on it. Thanks everyone. - julie

If it's an exhaust tick all you'll need is to retighten your manifold bolts and/or collector flanges. Depends on if it's just loose somewhere or if a few studs broke. If it's lifters, a nice synthetic 5-30 would help, thicker oil would probably make a ticking lifter worse due to the viscosity.

argh. thanks alot. We replaced 2 of the studs (they were missing on the used engine) when we put the engine in. I wanted to replace all of them, but my mechanic said no. Thank, so that's the ticking? Is it a piece of the bolt rattling around?

the tick will just be the actual exhaust leaking out (maybe noise from the valves opening and closing)...from the looks of it its the pass side rear (seems to be the 1 that breaks the most)...both my 87 and 95 had that same stud break off...

I dont blame the mechanic for not wanting to change all the studs (although he should have) they tend to break and become very stressful...

argh. thanks alot. We replaced 2 of the studs (they were missing on the used engine) when we put the engine in. I wanted to replace all of them, but my mechanic said no. Thank, so that's the ticking? Is it a piece of the bolt rattling around?

Take it back to the mechanic that said no, and make him replace them all for "FREE"