17 Inch Rockcrawler Wheels

cdubb77

What's up everybody. I know I should lift my rig but my wife isn't trying to hear that. :ohno01: I am interested in getitng the rockcrawler wheels in the 17 inch variety. I want to get them in the same size as my factory wheel. 17 X 8. I'm just curious to get everyone's opinion. I don't need to post a pic of the wheel because so many guys here have them but I'll post a pic anyway. Thanks in advance guyz.

m767.jpg

Ok, here's my 2cents. I switched from the stock 16" rims to steel 15" and then bought some BFG AT's. It was way cheaper than buying the 16" tires and your 17" will be even more. Also, if you are planning to actually go in the dirt, rocks etc. you will be much better off with the 15" tires. You have much more sidewall rubber and will get a larger footprint when you air down. You will also most likely get a better overall ride with the 15" tires as there is more rubber to cushion the ride. That's my storey and I'm sticking to it. It worked well on my 2003 R50.

What's up everybody. I know I should lift my rig but my wife isn't trying to hear that. :ohno01: I am interested in getitng the rockcrawler wheels in the 17 inch variety. I want to get them in the same size as my factory wheel. 17 X 8. I'm just curious to get everyone's opinion. I don't need to post a pic of the wheel because so many guys here have them but I'll post a pic anyway. Thanks in advance guyz.

m767.jpg

Hello Pal,

Those are American racings version. I'm not fond of the color stripes. ProComps make RockCrawlers. Look the same except for the pinstripes. 4wheelparts.com has them, that's where i got mine. I went with 15" wheels to make the tire look bigger and their cheaper, much cheaper than 17's, oh, and more tire options.

As for the wife, i waited till the suspension and tires needed to be replaced. Then i showed her what the dealer would charge if they did it, and what i could do it myself for (with ac's lift components). Heck, the tire and wheel package i got from 4wheelparts was cheaper than she payed for the last set of just tires she bought for it lol. Only problem is, i never mentioned the differential swap, blackpanther armor, and Rocksliders lol. I tell you though, even after it all, i bet i'm still under the dealers cost... I hope. Good luck.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD

Ok, here's my 2cents. I switched from the stock 16" rims to steel 15" and then bought some BFG AT's. It was way cheaper than buying the 16" tires and your 17" will be even more. Also, if you are planning to actually go in the dirt, rocks etc. you will be much better off with the 15" tires. You have much more sidewall rubber and will get a larger footprint when you air down. You will also most likely get a better overall ride with the 15" tires as there is more rubber to cushion the ride. That's my storey and I'm sticking to it. It worked well on my 2003 R50.

Yeah, those are good points. Thanks. Got any pics?

Hello Pal,

Those are American racings version. I'm not fond of the color stripes. ProComps make RockCrawlers. Look the same except for the pinstripes. 4wheelparts.com has them, that's where i got mine. I went with 15" wheels to make the tire look bigger and their cheaper, much cheaper than 17's, oh, and more tire options.

As for the wife, i waited till the suspension and tires needed to be replaced. Then i showed her what the dealer would charge if they did it, and what i could do it myself for (with ac's lift components). Heck, the tire and wheel package i got from 4wheelparts was cheaper than she payed for the last set of just tires she bought for it lol. Only problem is, i never mentioned the differential swap, blackpanther armor, and Rocksliders lol. I tell you though, even after it all, i bet i'm still under the dealers cost... I hope. Good luck.

Pete

Yeah, I don't really like the American Racing versions that I posted. I just posted a random pic. What's the biggest size 15 inch tires that I can get without having to lift my rig and without the tires rubbing? I saw the pic of yours in the other thread. Looks great.

If you like the spoked look, then Procomp 51 series are the way to go. 4WheelParts guarentee the best price so do some searching and they will match it. If you have one nearby, no shipping. If you like the round holes, i.e. Procomp series 97 or Soft 8's, check out summitracing.com and their Cragar Soft 8's. $37 a wheel and only $10.95 for shipping. Problem is that they don't have stock backspacing but I went with 4.25 and 32x11.50 and they don't rub. I still don't know how to post pics so check out the websites.

Edited by 93PathfinderWA

For what it's worth, I switched from the "spoked" D-Shaped holes, to a wheel with round holes. I kept warping the D-Shaped hole wheels. I have yet to bend or warp one of my wheels with the round holes.

I easily bent one of my "round holed" wheels. I guess Dan just doesn't wheel hard enough lol.

100_1238.jpg

100_1241.jpg

I guess I was cursed because this happened on a trail called "Steel Bender".

Edited by nissandoms47

If you like the spoked look, then Procomp 51 series are the way to go. 4WheelParts guarentee the best price so do some searching and they will match it. If you have one nearby, no shipping. If you like the round holes, i.e. Procomp series 97 or Soft 8's, check out summitracing.com and their Cragar Soft 8's. $37 a wheel and only $10.95 for shipping. Problem is that they don't have stock backspacing but I went with 4.25 and 32x11.50 and they don't rub. I still don't know how to post pics so check out the websites.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna check out the wheels that you mentioned above.

Procomp 51

procompmudterrainSeries51.bmp

Procomp 97

rockcrawler_series-97_b.jpg

Cragar Soft 8

crr-397_w.jpg

Edited by cdubb77

Backspacing is the amount of inches the rim extends back from the mounting plane area of the hub. You want about 4.5" backspacing or less to clear the spring perches with 31"s. You want 4" or less with 32"s or larger tires. This is assuming you are using 8" wide rims. One note, the less backspacing, the more the wheel extends out on the other side past the fender.

Edited by Acey

Yeah, those are good points. Thanks. Got any pics?

Yeah, I don't really like the American Racing versions that I posted. I just posted a random pic. What's the biggest size 15 inch tires that I can get without having to lift my rig and without the tires rubbing? I saw the pic of yours in the other thread. Looks great.

Do a search for my postings and check out the "33's on my Pathfinder". You can see the steel rims and 33x9.5 tires. I can't seem to copy and paste the photo into this response. Another typical I'm too dang old to work a computer thing.

Backspacing is the amount of inches the rim extends back from the mounting plane area of the hub. You want about 4.5" backspacing or less to clear the spring perches with 31"s. You want 4" or less with 32"s or larger tires. This is assuming you are using 8" wide rims. One note, the less backspacing, the more the wheel extends out on the other side past the fender.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with 15 X 8 wheels. I like when the wheels extend past the fenders. I'll probably be safe and go with the 4.5" backspacing. Thanks for the reply.

Do a search for my postings and check out the "33's on my Pathfinder". You can see the steel rims and 33x9.5 tires. I can't seem to copy and paste the photo into this response. Another typical I'm too dang old to work a computer thing.

I did the search and I like your lift and the 33's.

I did the search and I like your lift and the 33's.

They are kinda skinny and not the best for mud or deep sand. I air them down to around 15PSI and they work great in our desert and the rocky areas. When these wear out I need to decide if I want to cut the wheel wells out to accommodate wider 33's. I went with these to maximize my over all lift. It has worked great so far. Every thing is a trade off of some kind. Looking forward to seeing your rig after you choose tires and rims.

They are kinda skinny and not the best for mud or deep sand. I air them down to around 15PSI and they work great in our desert and the rocky areas. When these wear out I need to decide if I want to cut the wheel wells out to accommodate wider 33's. I went with these to maximize my over all lift. It has worked great so far. Every thing is a trade off of some kind. Looking forward to seeing your rig after you choose tires and rims.

Thanks. I can't wait either. I probably won't get the wheels & tires until September or October.