Okay Once Again Stereo Problem

Jdpathy

Okay b4 u guys all yell at me to use the :search: feature I did and could not find anything having to do with my problem.

My car stereo stopped working, it wont power up. Except when i turn the headlights on then the backlight to the cd player will light up but the cd player will not power up.? any ideas

after market cd deck right?

if so, try taking it out and checking the wires, could be a short or could be spliced to the wrong wires which is making it only work when lights are on, wouldnt hurt to check the "radio" fuse under the dash either, mine blew when i put an after market cd player in

Yah, i checked that stuff, ground was really good, it worked b4 and my wires are all clean no shorts that i can find. I think that i have narrowed it down 2 one of those newfangled "quit when the warranty runs out" systems...

Edit: It is aftemarket. A Virtual Reality System

Edited by Jdpathy

Checked your fuses? An aftermarket deck has it's own inline fuse as well as the one in the fuse panel, if it was wired with stock wiring. 'Course, it could have just plain taken a crap on ya. The Alpine deck in my van hasn't had a display in about half a year, it gets tiring not knowing what track you're on or what station you're listening to.

Well, I checked the fuses again and they are still good in fact the stereo turned on for a short time then turned off so maybe the ground is solid but just loose?

grounds are crazy, friend of mine had a deck in his van and it worked great for like 3 days then it took a dump, he used the stock wiring and turned out whoever owned it before him had the ground looped and we couldnt figure out how it was even working. He returned it and got a new unit, re wired it himself and now it sounds great. im no professional but its usually the simplest things that are hiding right out in the open that bit you in the ass.

It's impossible for a ground to be "Solid but loose." It's an either/or situation. I'm guessing that you cheaped out on the head unit, so you probably installed it yourself. You've got a loose connection somewhere. Track it down, fix it, properly, with solder and heat shrink tubing, and you should be good to go.

Actually i was going 2 but i ended up going 2 the dealership and i had them install it. Whats weird about the ground is that it goes to the same ground as everything else and everything else works fine. it just goes into some ground on the harness