e-brake no worky

Guest finding_a_path

Guest finding_a_path

I just acquired a 94 XE-V6 4x4 Pathfinder. One of the first things I noticed was the e-brake does not engage. The lever can be pulled all of the way up to the console with little to no resistance. As far as I can tell, the cable is connected to the lever.

Where should I start diagnosing this problem? My brakes feel relatively weak, so I am guessing the drums/shoes are not working under normal braking conditions either.

Thanks for any direction. :huh:

Well, I'd begin by first checking the brakes since they stop the car and stopping can sometimes be important. If they are ok (both front and rears) then crawl under the vehicle and adjust the e-brake cable...I know I did it about 5 years ago and I think I took the console off inside (or maybe that was to adjust the auto tranny gear selector thingy) either that or I think you have to go under the car basically right under where the e-brake is inside and tighten the nut things under there to tighten the cable. Someone can verify this for me, it has been a while since I've done it. Anyway, if the brakes are bad then obviously have them replaced and they should (but I'd tell them anyway) adjust the e-brake. If you do them yourself (which isn't too hard) then adjust them using what little advice I gave you and what people add to my area of lacking knowledge. I think they say it should click about 5 times??? That sticks in my head for some reason, but I'm sure I'm way off! :P

One more thing, try adjusting them. I believe you can do this by driving in reverse and slamming the brakes on nice and hard. At least this is what I've been told and I think I read it somewhere too. It seems to work anyway...or maybe I just like the whiplash. Eh, but give it a try, the worst that can happen is you'll get pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving.

Guest finding_a_path

haha! yea I may have to try that!

Anyway, thanks for the help. At least now I know where to adjust the cable. i'll start there and see what happens. The repair manual hasnt gotten here yet.

:(

Moving backward and then braking doesn't adjust the rear drum brakes, using the e-brake does(AFAIK, from doing my rear brakes three times). When you pull on the e-brake, a pivoting arm inside the brakes pushes against the adjuster wheel and if at all possible, turns the adjuster one notch at a time if the pads will allow for it.

Sounds to me more like your e-brake cable is broken, or one of the mounts has broken off, been unbolted or something like that. Major brake shops usually do a brake check for you free of charge. It may also be that your drums and/or pads are shot and need replacing. Can't say from over here, it's a bit blurry. ;)

When you pull on the e-brake, a pivoting arm inside the brakes pushes against the adjuster wheel and if at all possible, turns the adjuster one notch at a time if the pads will allow for it.

as long as the cable isn't so slack that you are getting absolutely no pull on the mechanism when pulling your e-brake lever. Also, if you pull the wheel and drum, you'd be able to see if the brake were working at all (having someone GENTLY pull the e-brake handle). My first approach would be to tighten the cable.

yea go under your truck and theres a cable in the center of the truck it has a U shape to it and the cable splits from there and goes to both of the rear tires its not hard to fix. you just tighten the U shaped joint untill your e-brake works again. P...

Guest finding_a_path

I peeked under the truck today, the adjuster for the cable LOOKS like it is adjusted all the way tight. There is almost 2" of threads sticking out of the nut!

I didnt have time to try and tighten it, but if the case is that the brake is all the way tightened, then what do I do? Replace shoes?

Thanks for all of the input fellas. :beer:

But was that with the e-brake handle pulled all the way up or not? I still suggest having a shop check the brakes if you don't know what you're doing, in any case. You don't HAVE to have them do work on it if you don't want them to, but they can diagnose problems very quickly and easily compared to trying to figure out what's wrong by asking a bunch of guys living scattered across continents on a Nissan forum on the internet... :)

lay under the truck and have someone exercise the parking brake and see if you can tell where there is and is not movement, and how much. It's certainly possible that the cable has stretched and can not be adjusted. If that is the case, you will need to replace the cable or shorten it (at the appropriate place) and loosen the adjustment. That will give you flexibility for future tightening. but... I agree with 88... have a brake place check it out (usually free) and find the problem... then fix it yourself :)

Oops! I did my own rears last fall but the e-brake ended up fine and then when I acquired my new Pathy they told me to adjust the brakes by going in reverse and slamming them on. This was a shop that specializes in steering and brakes and I said "oh, I didn't think Pathfinders adjusted like that" and he said "nope, for drum brakes on a Pathfinder that's how they are adjusted, I'm 100% positive on that." So, either you guys don't know what you're talking about :D or the mechanic was one lug nut short of a tight wheel. Anyway, it's kind of fun to do, so even if it doesn't do anything everyone should try it after a stressful day at work.

Guest finding_a_path
yea go under your truck and theres a cable in the center of the truck it has a U shape to it and the cable splits from there and goes to both of the rear tires its not hard to fix. you just tighten the U shaped joint untill your e-brake works again. P...

Well, I got under it today and made a stab at tightening this thing. It was a pain in the hiney. I know this is why my e-brake isnt working now, because there is a lot of slack in the cable.

I ended up hosing it down with penetrating fluid, so maybe I will have another go at it soon. Can anyone tell me is it the nut that I am trying to tighten or the cable end? The U bracket and the nut seem welded together.

:shrug:

The U shaped thing has 2 bolts one on one side and one on the other side sandwitching it between them

no they arnt welded either

untighten the one that is closer to the front of your truck and then follow it up with the back nut untill it works again

were you trying to tighten the rear nut first?? cuz that wont work:)

Guest finding_a_path
The U shaped thing has 2 bolts one on one side and one on the other side sandwitching it between them

no they arnt welded either

untighten the one that is closer to the front of your truck and then follow it up with the back nut untill it works again

were you trying to tighten the rear nut first?? cuz that wont work:)

by god I bet thats it! :bow:

The whole mechanism is so covered in road grime I wasnt sure if that was another nut or not! I was just trying to tighten the one on the end. sssh

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest finding_a_path

well, thanks for the help everyone... I finally got around to doing it today. HAHA it is so simple I feel like a tool for not being able to figure it out at first. :hide:

Now my brake engages at about 10 clicks, but the adjuster is tight all the way. I suppose I will bend over and take it to a shop to have it shortened more. But at least it works for the time being! :beer:

about a two weeks ago, i got stuck nasty style while playing in the mud, when i got home, i opened my drums, it was nothing but mud in there. i hosed it off and replaced the rear shoes, now, everytime i brake i have clicking sounds comming from the rear brakes and on top of that my e-brake doesn't engage until it reaches the console. but i gotta try that slamming on the brake thing.

"ohyeah, that guy in the white is my buddy. had to be at work by 1:00pm but didn't get home till 8:30pm."

post-6-1088670085.jpg

• 3 weeks later...