Center Stack Disassembly/radio Removal Question

GhostPath

Background: My 93 is a repo special, so there's some parts missing and things out of kilter.

My previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo head unit. He just removed the old one and slapped a new one in there without benefit of an installation kit, as shown below:

IMG_1544.sized.jpg

Unfortunately, the unit's removable face plate is missing so I can't use it; I have elected to replace this with a new Pioneer unit, but first I have to remove the old one. The unit is being held in by something I can't see, so I need to disassemble the front of the center stack to excise the stereo. My manual only covers 94-up interiors, so I have no idea how this one comes apart. I did search, but didn't find anything.

Does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble the front of the center stack to get to the stereo? Thanks.

Take out the two screws above the the heater controls, pull off the four knobs on the heater controls, pull out the ashtray and remove the two screws that are inside/on top of where the ashtray was, disconnect electrical connectors for heater controls, and from then it's just a matter of pulling it straight out without breaking any of the plastic snaps. If anything looks like it's holding it on, remove it. Pretty simple, you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

you dont need to do all that to get the radio out, pull out the ashtray, pull out the four screws, two at the top above the heater controls, two at the bottom above the lil cubby hole, pretty much directly south of the top ones. The whole front will come off after that, but dont pull too far before you disconnect the cigarette lighter, after that you'll see the screws holding the radio in. Unless my pathfinder is special (which it is) the heater controls don't need to be messed with to get the radio out.

the heater controls don't need to be messed with to get the radio out.

Correct. Also, depending on if it is fully assembled, there is a screw in behind the ashtray also (if missing you'll se an empty o in the top right corner of the opening).

If after you take the front bezel off and still can't get to the radio, try removing the bottom cubby. To do that; pull the plastic pin holding the plastic grill piece at the very bottom by the shifter. Then the screws through the sides of that bottom outer plastic piece. the entire bottom plastic ought to slide out (may need to move shifter) leaving just the tray . Once there, you can obviously see where the screws that hold the tray in place are. Once the tray is out, it will give you a better view from the bottom.

Err, on my '87 and '88, there are 5 screws holding on the front panel.

- 2 at top under vents

- 2 at bottom

- 1 in ashtray slot

Take those 5 out and it all gets obvious.

Well, I got it done; the generic old headunit has been ejected from the vehicle and replaced with a good Pioneer.

IMG_1554.sized.jpg

I only had four screws - two at the top, two at the bottom, a hole in the ash tray opening, but no screw and no place to fasten one there.

Edited by GhostPath